heel itches

my left heel itches every night.  it occurs n the same spot and it is a deep unrelenting itch that does not respond to scratching.  it is especially uncomfortable if i have been very active that day.  it has been going on for several years and it often interferes with my sleep.  i get a slight relief from hanging my foot on the side of the bed or applying friction by rubbing my heel on a rough surface.  sometimes it itches so deep it aches.

Itchy skin that isn't accompanied by other obvious skin changes, such as a rash, is most often caused by dry skin (xerosis).Other causes of itchy skin in the heel may be atopic dermatitis(eczema),contact dermatitis,neurodermatitis(lichen simplex) and internal diseases like diabetes,kidney or liver diseases.

Pls get your blood sugar levels evaluated.Also consult a dermatologist and discuss the above possibilities with him.

You can apply an anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used. You should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing. Covering the affected area with bandages and dressings can help protect the skin and prevent scratching. You should choose mild soaps without dyes or perfumes and use a mild, unscented laundry detergent when washing clothes, towels and bedding.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.

Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.