Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

high platelets and thrombocytosis

I recently was admitted to the hospital day after Thanksgiving for a stroke and since then my platelets have still been really high and the doctor has had 2 more blood results taken regarding my high platelets the first one came back at with my platelets being 591 and the seccond one this week came back at 629 they are having me see a blood specialist at the John Moores Cancer center in La Jolla, What is making my platets so high
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Platelet count is often increased in inflammatory conditions like rheumatoid arthritis. It is also increased in some bone marrow disorders like myeloproliferative disorders.Myeloproliferative disorders include: polycythemia vera, essential thrombocytosis, primary or idiopathic myelofibrosis (also known as myelosclerosis) and chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML). Dehydration too is a common cause.
This needs to be followed up with a hematologist.
Hope this helps. Take care!