Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

lump

Hi i have a hard lump under my skin on the back of my neck almost where my head and neck meet. Its hard and about the size of a marble. can some one help me. it hads been here a while but seems to have gotten a little bigger. i do not smoke.
It could be a cyst - I had one on the back of my head about 10 years ago - had to have it removed surgically.  They are not dangerous (i don't think - no big concern about the one I had) just a bother
it is under my  skin  woudl it still be a cyst?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Though it is very difficult to diagnose a lump without examination, I will try my best to list the possibilities and explain how each lump is diagnosed. In some people the occipital bone at the back of the skull has a protuberance. This is a normal finding and comes up in X-ray. Another normal finding is a protruding spine of cervical vertebra due to bad posture, again detected by X-ray. The other possibilities are a cyst (usually grows big or small depending on the fluid in it), a neurofibroma (localized harmless swelling in a nerve), lipoma (localized collection of fat), a swollen lymph node, an abscess, or folliculitis (hair follicle infection). An abscess can be hot or warm if it is infective due to bacteria and it can be cold without heat if it is a tubercular abscess. In your case since the lump is not painful an abscess other than tubercular is ruled out and so also folliculitis is more or less ruled out. You may be well, yet a lymph node can swell in response to a local infection, dermatitis or due to dandruff in hair. It can also be an acne. Rarely is it a bony tumor like osteoma. A CT scan would be diagnostic, however certain lumps can be diagnosed by palpation under experienced hands. If the lump is thought to be an abscess or cyst, then a fine needle aspiration cytology helps diagnose the cause.
Please consult your PCP for primary examination followed by proper referral. Take care!
Hi thank you for your time its been here about maybe a year and has gotten a littel bigger i just notice so i kinda got worried so i thought i would  ask here thank you  if the time  helps you narrow it down i woudl love to here your oppion. Thank you so much again.