Undiagnosed Symptoms Forum

lumps in neck

Hello, I have a couple of small lumps in my neck.  One of them has been there for awhile and my doctor thought it was a lymph node that didn't shrink down after being inflamed.  I have developed a second lump on the other side of my neck that is about the size of a pea and is a little firmer than the first one.  I don't have any colds or obvious infections that would cause this.  

I am an avid weight lifter and workout 5 days a week (have been doing this for over 10 years consistently).  Some of the exercises I do are very heavy and involve the upper back and neck.  Could heavy weightlifting cause strain that would cause small lumps like this to occur?   I have an appt. with my doctor in a week, but after reading about lymph nodes and their causes I am very concerned.  
Lymph nodes or cysts would be the most common cause.  I am unsure if weightlifting has anything to do with it.  

I would ultrasound the lumps for a more definitive diagnosis.  If they are persistently enlarged lymph nodes, a biopsy can be considered to exclude cancer.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patients education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
www.kevinmd.com
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.