Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

migraines,lump behind ear,pain in neck and shoulder,ear ache

I'm a 41 year old female who started having headaches earlier this year that my physician recently diagnosed as migraines.  10 days ago I started having pain on the left, back side of my neck that went around to my left ear and behind and around my left eye.  Also, at times the pain is going down into my left shoulder and I noticed today that I have a lump behind my left ear that is tender and firm (not hard) to the touch and my left eyelid is drooping slightly.  I almost always get a sore throat and both ears ache with my migraines, and this time is no exception (but only my left ear aches).  My headache medication, Imitrex (100mg dosage) and Cyclobenzaprine (10mg dosage) has not been successful in completely relieving the pain, and I am having problems sleeping because being horizontal seems to make the neck pain worse.  The Urgent Treatment Center physician I saw last Saturday prescribed amoxicillin, which I am currently taking, in case I had a sinus infection.  I've never had head pain for this many days and was wondering if perhaps I needed a CAT scan or should see an ENT doctor.  I have a clinical history of GERD, prolapsed mitral valve, bradycardia, occasional spells of mild dizziness, and I seem to have to pop my ears a lot. :)   I have no fever, and I've had a tonsillectomy.  

I appreciate any advice you can give me!  Thanks.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
You are probably having pressure symptoms from lump behind the ear. It is difficult to comment without examination.  Lump behind the ear could be an abscess, folliculitis (hair follicle infection), lipoma (localized collection of fat), a cyst, an inflamed lymph node or a neurofibroma (localized harmless swelling in of nerve and connective tissue). Swollen lymphnodes behind your ears could be due to chest infection, tonsillitis or pharyngitis, dandruff, infection of ear or even metastasis from a cancer. It could also be of tubercular pathology.
A CT scan or clinical examination by a doctor is must.
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.  Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!