Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members
Avatar universal

muscle tendon strain?

Recently developed unusual symptoms in my forearm.
After returning to work I developed swelling on the upper inside, about three inches behind the wrist joint, over the edge of the bone.

At first I thought it was just a bruise, but it didn't actually show bruising, just swelling and a little soreness, so not thinking much of it I continued working for the week (lifting,hammering).
After a few days the swelling (lump) went down and movment of the wrist was accompanied by creaking (like a rusty hinge) at the spot of the swelling. A generalized and mild swelling of the hand also was evident and disappaited after a few more days. With my wrist immobilized (tensor bandage/splint) the creaking goes away, with a little light use mild creaking returns. It appears to be a muscle/tendon that is injured.

Is it likely a mild strain or is the "creaking" indicative of something more serious like a tear?
If it is a tear wouldn't there be more symptoms like bruising or redness/red streaks?

- I assume about the only thing to be done is to keep it immobilized, but for how long?
- Should it be in a cast? There doesn't seem to be any aggravation associated with finger or thumb movement (grasping).

I can't afford to lose time at work, more than a week or so.

4 Responses
563773 tn?1374250139

Did you injure yourself while working or did you fall on your outstretched hand? Scaphoid fracture is a very common cause of wrist joint pain. Carpal tunnel syndrome is also a common cause of wrist pain.  
You may feel aching, burning, numbness, or tingling in your palm, wrist, thumb, or fingers. Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs when an important nerve (called the median nerve) gets compressed at the wrist because of swelling.

Arthritis is another common cause of wrist pain, swelling, and stiffness. There are many types of arthritis. Osteoarthritis occurs with age and overuse. Rheumatoid arthritis generally affects both wrists. Psoriatic arthritis accompanies psoriasis.

Other common causes of wrist pain include gout, pseudogout, De Quervain's disease and  Tendonitis and Tenosynovitis.

Confirmatory diagnosis can be made after physical examination, X-Rays and blood tests. Till that, rest your wrist and  keep it elevated, apply ice to the tender and swollen area and take over-the-counter pain medication, like ibuprofen or acetaminophen.You can also wear a splint for some days.

Pls consult an orthopaedician for confirmatory diagnosis and treatment.

Do keep us posted!

Avatar universal
I don't think my last post took so I'll try again. Apologies if it double posts.

Having done a little more research I can identify the area as that which is associated with "Intersection Syndrome".
I believe I hurt it when I slipped and supported my full weight, preventing a fall, by my hand alone, and twisted it a little.
The swelling is entirely gone now and only some mild pain with use, and the creaking which is less severe but returns with use when I bend my wrist, remains.

Do you think a.s.a. will be of benefit at this point? I have a.c.&c. on hand.
Seeing my doctor is a problem because he's far away, and I have to get back to work asap!
I'm most concerned about the severity of the injury and making sure it heals properly. Also what sort of exercise I should do and when, to make it strong after it's healed.

Must go out soon but will be back, thanks kindd. :)
563773 tn?1374250139


As there was a fall on the outstretched hand, it can be a ligament sprain or tear, a scaphoid fracture or a cartilage tear.

Some wrist injuries can be diagnosed with a medical history and careful examination of the painful area. For example, your doctor can often detect an injury to a ligament simply by examining your hand. Ligament injuries don't always show up on imaging tests.
In case of scaphoid fracture, definitely an X-Ray is needed.

Minor sprains and cartilage tears generally heal on their own with ice, rest and anti-inflammatory medications. More severe sprains or ligament tears may need splinting or surgery depending on the extent of damage. In scaphoid fracture, orthopedists usually treat the injury with cast immobilization to see if the fracture heals in a timely manner. If it does not heal, surgery can be considered.

So definitely an orthopaedician’s advice is required.

Take care and God bless.
Avatar universal
Ooops, miscommunication!...I stopped myself from falling by hanging on with my hand.
Please do so if you feel you should add anything; it is much improved now.
I'm still using the split and gentle movement of the wrist seems smooth.
I will see what I can do about getting it looked at.

Thanks again, and I will be more careful.
Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1518219421
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482853437
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.