nerve pain-ankle

For the last six weeks I have this very severe shock like nerve pain in my left ankle right below the bone,some times it so severe that it makes me week, I have been to numerous dr`s had x-rays ,mri`s with and without dye.I had nerve tests & shock like tests and no one seems to be able to help me. If you or anyone out there could shed some light on this very mysterious problem I would be so grateful!
As with any long term pain it is starting to depress me especially when it goes away for a day or two and I think its leaving and then again it starts, I don`t do anything to aggiavate it and i try to relax but i dosen
19 year old athlete, no surgery in right ankle, but very Sharp pain that goes from right under the inner ball bone part, shooting to the back of my heel as well as the bottom of my foot by my heel. Pain lasts anywhere from a few seconds, to a few minutes, stops anywhere for 5-30 minutes, then starts up again (its very strange).Pain comes whenever it feels like it.. I don't even remember doing anything to injure it. It does NOT hurt me to move my foot around at all, only hurts when I start to stand up and walk (sometimes I have to walk on my toes on my right foot to avoid the piercing pain, that is sometimes unbearable). The pain also comes to the top of my right foot, but is very minor and 95% of the time goes unnoticed. I am currently trying to get myself into the USAF or the USN, and this pain is causing me to have second thoughts, only because there is no way I could PT if my ankle started acting up.. It's very painful. It also hurts me if I push down under/behind my right inner ankle bone. I'm worried as well as confused as to where this pain came from
And why it is still bothering me. I do use the R.I.C.E system as well as taking anti inflammatories, joint soothers(glucosomine), aleve, beef aminos and other vitamines. Nothing seems to be working. Can anyone help please.

Thanks,

Dan (CT)
A related discussion, PAIN LIKE NO OTHER was started.
i to have the same problem im 29 and have excruciating pain in my ankles and cramps in my calf's which i cant help but swear thro the pain it slowly eases off but i can not walk no where also i get cramps in my hips. my doctor has prescribed me so much medication i also have had epidurals and steroid injections in my back nothing works.However i have just found out there is such a thing called dystonia and i am self Diogenesing myself with that i shall b seeing my doctor about this as it sounds exctlly just like what i am suffering with i suggest u google it and just have a quick look at it .
hello ive had the same thing going on for 3 years , i got hurt at work and its not getting better . ive had test after test .i had 2 nerve blocks  and they didnt work . ive had several cortizone injection no responce . been on more meds than u can amagion. nothing is helping . ive taken 6 weeks of physical therapy . i use the tens unit  pain patches , everything . now im seeing a surgen in charlotte nc and he put me in a cast for 3 weeks to see if that helps with the pain . well its 2 1/2 weeks now and the pain hasnt changes . the cold and rain about kills my foot . i go back to him next week i dont know what other options he has in mind . all i know is the burning, throbing, acheing , shooting sharp pains is about to drive me insane .. let u know what happens  
Reading all these comments ---- I wonder how many of you have had a floroquinolone antibiotic in the past year or so.  Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox ......  

You will find that many people are suffering tendon/nerve damage in various parts of their bodies, especially feet after taking these antibiotics.   I have the sharp pain periodicallyunder the ankle bone and have had burning throbbing feet from Cipro use.    Also, how many have noticed a wasting of the fat pad or collagen in their feet --- making them look emaciated with depressions and tendons sticking out -- again Floroquinolone antibiotic caused this with me
I have had the same pain for almost 2 yrs. I did the cast thing and it did not help. I'm already taking neurontin 2,400 units a day, cymbalta, Tramadol, and an antiinflammatory all for back issues. I've seen 2 ortho surgeons, gone through weeks and weeks of PT and nothing helps. Mine started after a "compression injury" to the ankle. One of the ortho docs said it is nerve damage, 2 nerves involoved, and everything I'm already taking is what he would recommend. He said these nerves repair themselves over time and that it can take up to 2 yrs. Well, it's almost 2 yrs and nothing is better. I can't go to the grocery store, Walmart anywhere that I have to walk around much. If I do then I am in bed taking Codeine for 2 days until it calms down again. I went to Lowes recently and now I am hobbling around the house with a cane. I've had MRI and other test done. One test I had done would show pain as a glowing on the screen. All along my right tendon, under the ankle bone and across the top of my foot to the two outer toes glowed. The docs all said it was osteo arthritis. Seems if that is all that it was, and that's bad enough for sure, but wouldn't the meds I'm taking help more. Why does walking on it set off what I am calling extreme inflammation feeling along with achiness? If you find someone in the Raleigh/Durham NC area who helps you please let me know. I'm thinking of going to my pain mgmt. doctor. I've not had to see her in 2 yrs, my back pain has been monitored by my primary care MD.
What is the rare disease that you were diagnosed with?
Hiya, yes, I've had cortisone injections in my hip and they were brilliant..felt as if I'd had a new hip! I'm having some sharp, stabbing, shock like pains on top of my foot and they come on so suddenly, they take my breath away. I haven't been to see my doc yet but I'll have to go...it's so painful it has me on edge now.    
I as well started having the same left ankle pain and went through a bunch of tests with no diagnosis.  Then I started having a host of other problems and even my walking gait got unstable, muscle pain, lower back issues, hips, etc.  Even did the chiropractor therapy.  Believe it or not it was my Mother who listened to my symptoms and quickly said it was hypothyroidism.  Went to the doctor and TSH standard thyroid tests came back normal, but my Vitamin D levels were quite low, which can cause nerve & bone damage as well. Had some difficulty swallowing, so requested a thyroid ultrasound, which showed it enlarged, so was sent to an endocrinologist and T3 & T4 tests confirmed hypothroidism. It does run in my family mostly with women,  but can affect men. Have now been on thyroid medicine,  iodine supplements and vitamin D and feeling much better and the ankle pain subsiding.  Endo doc says the nerve damage will heal but will take some time. He said up to 20% of the population have hypo o  hyper thyroidism that is not diagnosed by general doctors. Many diagnosed as having fibromyalgia due to unknown pain and lethargy have a thyroid problem. He also said that thyroid problems can cause high blood pressure/high cholesterol/high triglycerides/even diabetes. My general doctor put me on meds for most of the above symptoms, except diabetes before seeing the Endo and after 3 months on thyroid treatment, am off all those mere and have stabilized. Also note, high blood sugar & glucose intolerance including pres-diabetes can also cause the inside left ankle nerve pain, so glucose tolerance test may also help diagnosis. Mine was slightly high, but Endocrinologist attributed it to the thyroid problem.  Hope this possibly helps some people - good luck as I know what you are experiencing now.

I have been suffering with what felt at first as completely random excruciatingly sharp right ankle nerve pains.  It has been two months now and the pain has come and gone.  I have now conclusively found one pattern:  the pain seems to coincide with high iodine consumption--in my case eating sushi and or seaweed salad or seaweed snacks. (I had thought this was good for one's thyroid).  My sister-in-law, who is a nurse, thinks there may be some hypothyroid situation as well.  I am going to my internist tomorrow to get some test done and will follow up with you all.  Thanks for sharing your story--it makes me think that my sister-in-law is indeed on the right track!
During the early morning I was awakened with a pain in my ankle.  It seems to be in or near the bone on the inside of my right ankle.  There is no swelling, and the pain is not constant.  It is a jabbing pain which occurs about once a minute, or sometimes more or less often. and the pain only lasts for a second or two.
I was treated for osteomylitis in the toe of my right leg in 2009, and had an operation  for an infection in the knee of the same leg in September of 2011.  Had a pic line in both cases to treat infection.  However, in both cases, there was swelling and pain.  I do not have swelling, nor constant pain.  It almost seems like it is nerve related.  Do you have any advice for me?
A bit of research shows that B vitamin deficiency can cause nerve pain.  My blood tests showed that I do not have any thyroid issues so I have started on B Complex sub-lingual drops to see if this will make this intense ankle nerve pain end.
I  too is having similar pain in my ankle ,try this exercise.
1. stand on your toes for as about 15 sec and repeat it 6-7 times in a day.
2. bear pressure shocks
My husband had been having the pains you all describe - excruciating, intense, short pain behind his right ankle bone.  For the few seconds each pain would last was debilitating.  One pain came on one day and a few days later, it was a few + more pains per day.  I stayed up a few nights ago researching symptoms and came across this forum and a couple others.  I must tell you a couple months ago, he was diagnosed with an extremely low level of Vitamin D.  He turned in his prescription, but never picked it up.  You know what I'm gonna say . . . . my research kept mentioning Vit. D, so I asked him if he was taking his prescription.  Turns out - as I said - he hadn't picked it up yet.  So, before calling a doctor about this ankle pain, he finally went and picked up the script.  It was for 50,000 IU's of Vitamin D taken once a week.  He's only taken 1 dose, and during this week, the pains got weaker and today, 6 days later, only 1 mild pain.  He'll take dose #2 tomorrow. I'll report back if the pain goes away all together.  My suggestion, based on this example from my husband, is to have your doctor check your Vitamin D level !!    HOPE THIS HELPS !!
Wow. Sorry about all the pain here, but I must say I'm relieved that I'm not the only one. I have had this going on

since about early 2004. It is an extreme and excrutiating "electric" like pain that shoots through my RIGHT foot

from about halfway between the toes and ankle area up to the  outer ankle (right foot, right ankle) and to the top

of the foot. The pain is absurd. It makes me cry out, which is embarrassing (yelping at the grocery store or

something is a sight). The shocking pain itself only lasts a second. Sometimes it happens once or twice then goes

away. Today, it kept happening for about 10 to 15 minutes, then calmed down and now only every few minutes.

Hopefully, it is done for the day. Sometimes I will go weeks or even months without an episode, then out of the

blue, it will happen. In 2003, I had 2 grand mal seizures within just a few hours of each other. When the first

episode of this foot pain happened, I thought it was a seizure coming on, but that never happened. I have also

sparained my ankle twice in that same area, but these pains started happeneing before either sprain occurred. Any

mention of these pains to doctors I have seen have been met with much head scrathing and I-dunnos. Pretty

discouraging when a doctor has no idea what you're talking about. Anyway, there seem to be more questions than

answeers.... ow.. just got a "shock" - it weakens me. And one more thing - it seems to occur almost always when I

am tired and under a lot of stress. Thanks for the support here! Hope we all get answers and relief one day.
WOW - WTF! I was researching info on my weird ankle pain and found this thread: It seems that there are SEVERAL people experiencing the EXACT same pain (sharp, stabbing nerve pains) in the EXACT same foot and area (left ankle, under the bone, left side & top of foot). Almost all of them have been to good doctors and had medicines prescribed, physical therapy, surgery, etc etc and STILL have the pains. While it's some-what comforting to know that SO MANY others have experienced this exact same thing - It's frustrating and makes me feel hopeless that no one's been able to figure out what it is or how to fix it. : ( My pain has been coming and going on and off for the past week and seems to be getting worse, not better. It goes away at times for anywhere from a few minutes to a whole day but then comes back. It's not extreme yet but bad enough to make me wince in pain when I walk much and be very annoying to deal with. DOES ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS OR WHAT IT COULD BE OR WHAT I CAN DO ABOUT IT? : (
This is to everyone:
I am a healthy 19 year old who played volleyball for about 9 years.  When I was in 7th grade (14), I injured my ankle during a game. I was experiencing sharp pains in my left ankle right under the bone.  My whole ankle would turn purple and swell up all the time.  I'd have spasms that would last for a long time.  Sharp pain when touched.  It was horrible. I was placed in a boot for 9 months and in those 9 months I went to see many different doctors to figure out what was going on.  I was sent to a specialist where they diagnosed me with Reflex sympathetic dystrophy syndrome in my ankle. In order to decrease my pain, I had to get several nerve blocks.  It worked until now.  I twisted my ankle when I fell off a ladder and now the same symptoms are back in that same ankle.  I'm debating if I should go to the doctors or wait it out.  But for others on here, this may be something to look at.  The link below tells you more about what it is.  I hope this helps a little and might open a door to opportunities if you ask your doctor about it.  (:   Good luck.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0004456/
I'm curious to know if your condition has improved.  I had a cortisone shot for my peroneal tendonitis and it helped for just a couple of days.  I was able to move about without crutches without pain.  However, then all of a sudden, I experienced intense unbearable pain which almost caused me to fall.  Subsequently, I've been experiencing this shooting electrical pain about every two minutes after getting up in the morning, and it subsides somewhat as I keep my foot immobile, but then it flares up again.  It is highly debilitating and causing great depression.

I experienced a calcaneus fracture (heel bone, shattered by a fall from a ladder), and I seem to be experiencing both nerve pain and tendonitis (peroneal).  My doc today gave me a "test" which included a nerve block with a small amount of cortisone to see if I would experience pain over the ensuing 4-5 hours.  If I didn't, he seems to think cutting the subtalar nerve might be a solution.  I also plan to have an MRI to see if there was initial damage to the peroneal tendon during my fall, which would have been missed in the initial x-rays.  

Anyone experienced anything similar?  And suggestions?
My right ankle has been broken twice.  The last Dr. Left the screw heads in there ! Now my inner tendon along side the ankle hurts  to even touch it.  SOMETIMES JUST STANDING CAN CAUSE A HUGE shooting pain.  I WORE SOME COMBAT BOOTS VERY FLAT AND THAT IS WHEN ITBSTARTED.  I am in pain 24/7 now.  Any recommendations ?
With my calcaneous fracture, the surgeon put in one plate and a dozen screws.  He said that many people can tolerate the hardware, but some can't, and they might need to be removed.  However, they wouldn't do this until one year had elapsed.

I hadn't thought about the possibility that a tendon or nerve could be damaged by the hardware.

I had my MRI this morning and results will be available next week.  If there is no tendon damage, I will investigate the consequences of having the doc cut the talar (or subtalar?) nerve, which he says would numb a certain part of my foot, but wouldn't remove sensory feeling and thus wouldn't impact my ability to walk.

If there is tendon damage, that's another story which will require more analysis.

All I can say is, it's been 3-1/2 months since my injury.  I've lost all muscle mass (and I'm a long-distance road cyclist), and can barely put any weight on my foot with an airboot without experience that persistent nasty nerve twinging that is painful.  

If anyone has any suggestions or thoughts, please let me know.
sorry to say this guys but i have this problem its called piriformis syndrome i have pain in my back, hip and ankle and it hurts when i eat or sit and drive and walk and thier is no known cure all caused by the sciatica i have at only 36 what a bummer
Hi.
Have had stabbing sudden pain in the protruding bone on the inside of the ankle for som years, lasting some seconds. Like a nail suddenly being hammered into the bone. Also almost similar sudden painstabs in the white of the eyes, like a needle being driven into it. Also a lot of nerve"twitchings" at shifting places on the body. This has all completely stopped,after I stopped eating gluten/grain with gluten. Must have to do with some kind of malabsorbtion related to gluten/grains, which have led to vitamin- and mineraldeficiencies, I think. Hope this helps some of you.
thank you all for sharing your pain. I dont feel quite so alone or 'loony' any more. am off to buy some vit D and give it a whirl. anything is better than this pain that causes that 'sssssss' in breath!
A damaged nerve can be removed i currently have one with intense pain after a surgery i had 2 months ago. I got hurt at work by stepping in a hole and torn a ligament and had nerve damaged. It was suppose to be fixed after surgery, but i had a complication due to the surgery and now i have to have another one to removed the nerve that hurts. Good luck to you all.
I have the exact same pain the inner ankle on my right leg. It feels like someone put match out on ankle then a few seconds later it's gone. I have had it for several years, and has gotten worst in the last few months. I notice that the skin around the ankle is losing feeling and the hair on that that side of my ankle stopped growing. I do get some relief with Aleve but if i hold my foot the wrong way the shocks start. They seem to be worst in the morning when i get out of bed. I had broken the ankle as a kid and had surgery on the knee to remove the cartilage 30 years ago. has anyone else had prior injuries to the ankle or knee?
I find it helps if you stretch your joints in your hips, knees, and ankle. Then massage your tendons and pressure points around the ankle and calf. For me it seems worst when I am not using my muscles. But if I spend 10 minutes to massage around and stretch out I can always find relief. Hope this helps.
I have been experiencing the exact type of pain that many of you have described. I'm a 25 year old male with no prior history of ankle or foot issues of any kind.

Two weeks ago I woke up in the middle of the night with the most excruciating pain I have ever felt. It occurred right below my left ankle bone on the outside of my foot and felt as if someone was hammering a nail into my bone for about 3-10 seconds.  The pain has been occurring ever since then. I had a period of two days where there was no pain, but otherwise the pain will occur periodically and without warning.

I went to the emergency room the first night that it occurred where I was given an x-ray which showed nothing abnormal. I was given a prescription for a steroid as well as 600mg Motrin. I have been taking both, but neither helps. Since then I have been seeing a chiropractor who also seems to be at a loss as to what the problem is.  I have an MRI scheduled for tomorrow and an appointment with a podiatrist coming up soon.  If I find anything out I'll update everyone here.

I really hope some of you have found solutions to this problem.
Hi.

I have had similar problems with sudden shooting pain on the inside of the ankle for some years. Just as was the case with Glutenbird this has completely disapeared efter I 5 years ago started gluten AND wheat/rye/oat/barley free diet. Many other symptoms have also disappeared (back pain, shooting pain in the eyeball, irregular heartbeat etc., "nervetwitching") I have tried to drop my diet a few times. Then the pain (and the other symptoms) returns. I do not have Coeliac Disease, but som other kind of intolerance/sensitivity to these grains. Hope this helps some of you.
With the greatest of respect, I think that you are completely missing the point if my case is typical. The very sharp electric shock has almost had me waking up and leaping out of bed! It does not last long yet - only started 3 days ago - but IS PULSE GENERATED therefore maybe a circulation obstruction problem. I had flebitus in the same leg many years ago. Anyone else suffering from half dead feet too?! ;-(
OMG you all sound like me. I just cant take this pain in my ankle bone and foot anymore, its got me crying. Mine started about 6 yrs ago with a weak ankle/foot and a really sensitive area of skin along the left side of my shin. Shooting pains  started and went on for 2 yrs, i had MRI, Nerve tests and CT scan and it showed i had fluid filled cysts on the bone in the lower leg area and some Tarlov cysts on my spine, and basically told to go away as it wont hurt me. A couple more years of this severe stabbing pain and one day i slipped on my wooden flooring, but i didnt fall down or anything....but the next thing my ankle bone had broken into lots of pieces and shot the whole way around my leg to the other side and broke the inside ankle bone in half and snapped my ligaments in half on itsway... i passed out with the pain, could not bear it. Had to have an op and have metal plates put in my leg. Drs  could not believe the damage. I am now 3 more years on and crying with this pain. Im sitting here now and its sort of pulsating, so severe i want to be sick, im crying. My new g.p has just given me some pain patches to try so i now have one on and he's going to send me to a different hospital to see if different dr's can get to the bottom of this pain. Now the pain is not just in my ankle, it seems to be spreading as i now get it on the top side of my foot, and it goes up my leg to my knee. Its as though its spreading. I pray a new dr will be able to stop it. Im scared my ankle will snap again as it so very weak and gives way all the time,f goes so stiff i cant walk sometimes. and it now swells up massive if i walk anyway or stand for too long, but im not sure if this is down to heart problems x
so i sprained my Achilles transitioning into my Vibrams too quickly and decided to shoot 4mg of Dexamethasone into  my ankle and now the pain is even worse. How bad did i screw up
Wow I have been living with this annoying pain for a about a year now, it started last summer, it comes in waves of pain and it is only in one spot right under my ankle bone and always on my left foot, if im exersising or just trying to relax this pain starts to bother me and it gets to the point where it is unbearable, last year i would wrap it up in a bandage but i dont do that this year, and the pain get gradually worse and worse as the time goes by, its usually random, but it can also be triggered if i sit with my legs crossed in a way that puts pressure on my left  ankle, but i dont get any pain untill i move my foot from the position it is in when being crossed, if you know what it is tell me, it is even bothering me at this very moment and it is pretty unbearable at the moment i can bearly type this because the pain is so bothersome
HEY EVERYONE, I went to a chiropractor and she had me lay on my back, adjusted, or basically yanked my foot out away from my body.  Its been great ever since!  Get your ankles adjusted!!
Try Carbamazepine (Tegretol) 200mg one a day its for controlling seizures
my doctor prescribed it says it seems to work, but remember to read the label for side effects.
A related discussion, sudden severe ankle pain (inner) was started.
To everyone with undiagnosed ankle pain.  I certainly have empathy for what you are going through with the pain. I also have same symptoms with unsuccessful Dr's diagnoses.  I believe it's a pinched nerve in the ankle and therefore I have been extremely happy with no pain since seeing a Chiropractor.  He pulls my foot away from my body and does what ever he does, and I have no pain at all for weeks at a time.  It has stopped the pain for me.  Hope it can help even one person out there with this pain.
I started with this pain 2 days ago whe I thought I was bitten by a bee or something ..until this pain has repeated itself for the last few days. I feel like I'm going to lose my mind...I have trigiminal nerve pain on my left side, pulsating tinnitus for 2 years now in the left ear...and I think it's all related..some how. I have disk issues in c 4, 5, 6 and 7.. Seeing the orthodox surgeon this coming Friday for his opinion I already have the MRI results..also lumbar pain, L2/3 exploded 3 years ago. Um..oh yeah, a mild bulging disk in my thoracic T7/8 which these des seem to think is insignificant but is causing spasms in my mid back that wraps around anteriorly triggering SEVERE esophageal spasms which are so painful, the first time sends you to the ER bc u think its a heart attack...and a Syrinx (fluid cyst) in my thoracic spine.. Now this! Why is it so hard to find a doctor that can connect the dots?

A few years ago a had severe bone loss on my dexa. My pop said here, take a pill.. I'm a Massage Therapist so I understand the bodies systems pretty good...I diagnosis MYSELF with secondary hyperparathyroidism, had the tests done and went to an Endocrinologist. It started from a vitamin D difficiency that caused the parathyroid to run high. Not enough calcium in the blood..the body will take it from your bones. I rebuilt bones and am fine now. Vita,in D causes all kinds of things... I never heard of nerve issues tho. Will look into that. Will see what this ortho thinks of this new symptom...
I have seen six doctors in the last two months because I am experiencing spasms in different parts of my body and the first spasm started just below the ankle bone.  The pain is intense, 10/10 and only lasts for split seconds but it can be repetitive.  I think there is a mechanical component because it never happens when I sleep on my left side but sitting (I sit for 12 hours a day) or sleeping on my right side triggers it.  Acupuncture and osteopathy seems to help but I am VERY interested to find out if there is a link to Calcium, Magnesium and vitamin D.

I have had dozens of ankle "shocks" in the last hour and this is the first time that this has happened.

Please send me your thoughts.

Please send me your thoughts.
This sounds so familiar. I have scar tissue and broken bones all over my body due to extreme sports but I've never had nerve pain before until this year.  

How are you now?
The sharp pain under the ankle under any circumstance seems to be a common theme.  

I don't notice inflammation but I can trigger it by pressing hard under the ankle.  I am in my forties and very active.  The pain is random and debilitating BUT only ever in my right ankle.  I have scar tissue and broken bones all my body from extreme sports?  Why my right ankle and why now?
I have been dealing with this for a year and it getting worse; more shocks more often any time of day, any activity including sleeping.

How are you now?
My osteopath seems to have isolated the problematic neural pathway.  Here is an excerpt form Grays Anatomy:  

The Posterior Femoral Cutaneous Nerve (n. cutaneus femoralis posterior; small sciatic nerve) is distributed to the skin of the perineum and posterior surface of the thigh and leg. It arises partly from the dorsal divisions of the first and second, and from the ventral divisions of the second and third sacral nerves, and issues from the pelvis through the greater sciatic foramen below the Piriformis. It then descends beneath the Glutæus maximus with the inferior gluteal artery, and runs down the back of the thigh beneath the fascia lata, and over the long head of the Biceps femoris to the back of the knee; here it pierces the deep fascia and accompanies the small saphenous vein to about the middle of the back of the leg, its terminal twigs communicating with the sural nerve.
A related discussion, Ankle pain was started.
What mind of homeopathic medicine was it?
I have also have had left ankle (inside) cronic pain for over 5 years, been to many drs. had many x-rays. I believe that no one will truly find out whats wrong. I am on disability, and am expendable, So if any are on disability and have had any health issues that has been long lasting, Think about it... Im sure that if I had private insurance, and money my issue would be fixed......JUST SAYING.
I too have sharp horrible pain that comes and goes for days and days then subsides for week or so then back again. Been happening for years. Been to many different types of doctors and no one has helped. Now I'm wondering if it's part of the Shingles virus. I notice it's at it's worse when I come down with shingles. It does it's sharp pain stabs even when I'm resting.
Looking for a Doctor?
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.