Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

pain in right side of neck

My husband is 21 years old and has for the past week been experiencing pain in the right side of his neck. He says that the pain is always there and that it is worse if he swallows or talks. At first he said that it was a little larger than a golfball, like a lump but there is no visible swelling. Last night he said that the pain had spread up into his head and behind his right eye. It has been keeping him awake. We cannot really afford for him to go to the doctor. He does not currently use tobacco but he dipped Copenhagen for six years. He does not seem to think that he has strained his neck, unless he did so in his sleep. I thought perhaps it was a strained muscle or a swollen lymph node but he is very concerned.
could it be a blocked submandibular salivary gland? I had this. The swelling was not always present but would appear like a golf ball every time I ate or salivated when I smelled certain things. It was painful! Turned out I had tiny stones blocking the salivary gland from getting the saliva out to the tiny structure under my tongue (the duct). The saliva would back up and cause the swelling. Not much you can do unless the stones get large enough for removal with a cannula- no surgery needed. Good luck!