Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

peritonsillar abscess

this is in response to an old post about Peritonsillar Abscess. I figured I'd update it a little bit... about 3 weeks ago I thought I had strep... sore throat on only the right side, near my tonsil area, and it hurt all the way up to my inner ear... no fever, a little achey but nothing serious.  

I was put on a 10 day amox script. i took it for 10 days and felt fine, but as soon as I went off of it i felt sick again... this time my throat swelled up on one side and hurt all the way into my ear. I was put on a z-pac and a 21 pill steroid script to help fight it.. after 2 days, nothing.

i read something talking about Peritonsillar Abscess.. it fit all my symptoms, so I rushed to the hospital and they needed to surgically drain the pus from my throat... instant relief!!!.. I urge anyone who has these EXact symptoms to not bother with your doctor.. go right to the ER and suggest Abscess. I am a 23 yr old male 6'5'' 200lbs, avid wieghtlifter and rarely sick.

This discussion is related to severe Swollen Sore Throat and Unknown puffy swelling on right side of mouth.