Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

phantom smells

Hi all, My mother has for the last week on and off been smelling the smell of burning paper, however no-one else can smell it.  She has not had any headaches and is not feeling unwell.  The smell however, is causing some distress.  Does anyone have any clues as to what it could be?
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
What your mother is suffering from is probably olfactory hallucination or phantosmia. It is usually due to seizure, or due to schizophrenia or depression or due to an aura of migraine. It can also be due to a problem in olfactory receptor mechanism. This could be due to a smell getting trapped by nasal polyps or tumors. Since it can be something serious, your mother should be seen by a psychiatrist, ENT specialist and a neurologist. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!