Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

ruptured ovarian cyst

does anyone know if its normal to still feel pain and be nauseous after a cyst rupture. i feel so crappy
I had an ovarian cyst rupture in december of 2008, I felt horrible for maybe 7 days after...although it turns out mine didnt completely rupture it was a slow leak which was leaking for a few days and needed surgery in the end.

How long ago did yours rupture???  I'd say give it a few days and if you still feel bad see your doctor just to check on things.

Good luck!!
yes, i had this same problem about 5 years ago.  You can still feel pain and nausea for a few days afterwards, and you might also have another one that is on the verge of rupturing.  You should see your OBGYN.  These can be dangerous.
Hello Lauraher

I suffer (to this very day) all my life with ovarian cysts, and while I am not polycystic, I have had several ruptures over the years.  I started having ovarian cysts from the age of 14 and was put on the birth control pill to prevent ovulation because of the possibility of rupturing cysts.  For 17 years I didn't have to worry about ruptures, but after I stopped taking the pill, my cysts came back with a vengeance and I endured a few minor ruptures.  I have always had nausea when cysts were present, and I do believe even after the rupture I had nausea and I did certainly have pains afterwards.  The thing is you may have more than one cysts and though one had ruptured, it can cause others to become inflamed or prone to rupture - like a chain reaction.  My question to you would be, if you are not trying to conceive is it possible for you to take birth control so that you do not have to deal with the cysts or possibility of ruptures?  Have you had any ultrasounds or have you been to the hospital for the ruptures?  How did you learn about the recent rupture?  (I had no idea I had a rupture when I had the first one happen, and an ultrasound was done to confirm fluid in the space.)  After that, I learned quite quickly what the pains were, (from the cysts) and often I was able to tell if I was experiencing a rupture.  The only thing to beware of in addition to needing medical assistance if a rupture is severe is that also have to be aware of the possibility of pregnancy or ectopic pregnancies.  When you have persistent pain after a rupture, I would be worried about a possible pregnancy or Ectopic pregnancy.  If this isn't a factor, then I am happy.  But please make sure you seek medical advice on this issue, since there can be other complications that you could suffer as a result.
In addition to anything I have mentioned, please keep in mind, that while I or others may have extensive knowledge in many areas, you should always seek professional medical advice from your own physician, as it pertains to medical conditions or concerns.
Good luck, and if you have any other questions that I can help you with, please feel free to message me directly.

Sincerely,
Sandi (Dragon1973)
MedHelp Genetics Community Leader;
Down syndrome Community Leader & Ds Group Forum Founder/Moderator
Can anyone help me with what may be wrong with me?
Continuing on from all my above comments, I have this horrible stitch like pain near my left ovary, and down into my groin. It's worst in the morning before I go to the toilet, but then it's there all day. Everytime I push to go to the toilet, cough or even walk it hurts.
Could this be a cyst, my schiatica coming through to the front, or my IBS (a serious problem with my bowel)?
I am really worried it is something bad, and if it's a cyst, that it could rupture, or if it's a blockage in my bowel, it could rupture (very dangerous).
Does anyone have any suggestions, PLEASE!!!!!!!
I have other problems (one being the month before last, I didn't get my period, and I thought I was pregnant. Pregnancy tests done were negative, and I got my next period, that finished about 4 days ago)
Because of other problems also, I have a gynecologist appointment on Friday, and right before that appointment, I am having a gynecological ultrasound done. I will mention this new problem to her.
I have read though, that it is not common to get a cyst if you are on the contraceptive pill. Does anyone know how true this is? Do my symptoms sound like either of yours?
Glad you have an appointment schedule.  I had to get off of the pill because all I had was cyst after cyst.  I had to have an abdominal laparoscopy done to remove the cysts, because they were large.  My OBGYN told me that if I didnt want anymore cysts to get on the Depo Provera shot.  so I started taking the shot and I have not had one cyst that I know of since.  I have a pelvic ultrasound done every 6 months to check for them and the ultrasound is always negative.  I dont know if this would be a good option for you but it could be something you could speak to your doctor about if you are interested in it. The best part is most people do not have a period on the shot.  Ive been period free for 5+ years and I love it!  lol but its possible that if you are having to push when you go to the restroom  that it could be your bowel.  You may want to talk to your OBGYN about that also.  They can tell you if it is an ovarian cyst or bowel usually.  Hope this helps, good luck.
Thanks for your response.
But aren't the pregnancy rates higher with that injection?
Yeah, it would be great to be period free, that is why I cut mine out alot on the pill, by not taking the sugar tablets.
I guess I will have to wait until Friday to find out. I just hope it's nothing bad. And if they find no cysts, and suggests it may be my bowel, even though I will obviously follow it up, I dread the thought of having to have another colonoscopy.
No, pregnancy rates are not higher on the shot.  The only pregnancies I know of are people who were pregnant before they got the shot.  We had that happen in a clinic I worked for once.  I used to cut my periods out by skipping over the sugar pills as well but it still didnt protect me from ovarian cysts.  Also, if you are afraid of getting pregnant, you can still use other forms of protection.  
Ok.
The only reason I would be afraid of getting pregnant would be that it would be unplanned. My partner and I do want to have children, however we have not planned this as yet.
I thought I was pregnant about 4 weeks ago (part of me was actually hoping). I didn't get my period at all last month, and had horrible cramping and bloating, and that is when this pain started. I have had it before when I've had my period, but it's gone away, this time it hasn't. My doctor told me in the past it was nothing, and I had an ultrasound last year, and it showed nothing.
I had negative preg. tests, and got my next period, which finished 4-5 days ago. It was suggested to me on this site, that it could have been due to skipping periods so many times, however, my Doctor said the only problem with doing this, is that if you do it too many times in a row, you could get spotting.
yes it is possible to have spotting.  Maybe you should look in to Mirena the new uterine contraceptive device, or even Seasonique the pill that you take once a day but yet you only have a period every 3 months.  Im not sure how either prevent ovarian cysts but everyone is different.  My pill just happened to be causing the cysts, where others taking the pill were preventing ovarian cysts.  It may also depend on which pill you are on.  Talk to your doctor about these concerns, she should have the answer.  Hope everything goes well!
Just giving you an update.
I had my GYNO app. today. She found a cervical polyp and a "simple"cyst on my left ovary.These are probably the answers to my problems.
I have to have a Hysteroscopy to remove the polyp, and she suggested, at the same time, (but is not pressuring me) to have a Laparoscopy to have a look at/remove cyst, check if I have endometriosis, check if I have an adhesion (of ovary to something else) and check my fallopian tubes are ok, by using a dye (some of this is due to my age, if I want to have children, to check fertility) I'm pretty sure I will have both done, however, after reading the possible complications of a laparoscopy, I am SCARED S......S!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I do realise they have to state possible complications for all surgery, but I am still scared, and wondering if it would be any higher risk because I am a smoker, or risk of bowel perforation because I have IBS, with an extra loopy bowel. Do you know? Were you scared when you had yours? Did everything go ok in the hospital, and what was your recovery like? Even though she told me that she doesn't believe the cyst or polyp are cancerous, I still have a slight fear they could be, or that I may be told I wont be able to have a baby....................................
My laparscopic surgery was fine.  There were no complications, I healed quickly.  The only side effect I had was the pain from the gas that they fill you up with to check all of your organs.  However, they tell you in recovery how to lay so that you do not feel this gas pain.  I was back to work in a matter of days.  There are complications with every surgery, but the doctors just have to make you aware of that.  It doesnt mean that anything will go wrong.  I was scared because it was my first operation but once they gave me the "I dont care" medicine in pre-op, I didnt care anymore.  The only time that I really didnt feel well was the day after the surgery because all of that medicine was coming out of my system.  They make sure to send you home with some good pain medications just in case you need them, and they encourage you to take them before the pain starts and stay on schedule with them the first couple of days so that you do not experience any pain.  I recommend having it to check for endometriosis, and to have the cysts removed.  You dont want them to rupture.  Let me know what you decide and how it goes.  I will keep you in my prayers.  I believe you will be okay.
Thankyou for your reply.
How long were you in hospital for, just overnight?
I am worried they will find endometriosis, and adhesions. What I am really worried about is an adhesion to my bowel. When I looked at pictures on the nett, it is really quite scary to see how close the bowel actually is to your reproductive organs. ( i am so paranoid about getting a perforated bowel)
I am trying to decide whether to have the op done publicaly or privately. Public would mean no choice of Doctor, and a waiting list of who knows how long, costing me nothing at all. Private would let me choose the GYNO that I saw on Friday, and probably have it done very soon, however, the cost (as I don't have private health insurance) would be $2000-3000......
I do want to get this done asap, as the pain is so annoying. I don't sleep very well, no position is comfortable, and no pain killers I have taken really do much at all. Norofen Plus, which is usually a great painkiller, doesn't even touch the pain. Panadol (paracemol) is a bit better, but not great.