sudden internal heat in upper abdomen below the sternum

After I take medications, I feel extremely hot in my upper abdomen. Could this be related to GERD?
Read more
Follow
Upvote - 0
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Yes, a feeling of heat in the upper stomach after taking medications could be due to acidity, GERD, stomach ulcer or due to duodenal ulcer. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to take a combination of medications like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole,  lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into and a combination antibiotic tried.
Life style changes that will help include: Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Go to bed at least 2 hours after food. Maybe these tips will help you.
You should consult a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system) or a physician for this if these tips reduce your symptoms.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
A related discussion, perut panas dibagian kanan was started.