Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

tremors, spasms, or seizure diagnosis

My daughter has developed a "seizure like" disorder that has proven to be difficult to diagnose for many reasons. ER sees these episodes as not life threatening and shifts the responsibility to specialists. Nuerologist is not seeing "seizure activity" on EEG and seems dumbfounded...referring to psyciatry. In my opinion the muscle motion is too acute to be voluntary and I have never heard of a somatic response  being this severe. I can't help but think that since the nuerologist doesn't have an answer that she is getting shuffled off. My work has just shut down the plant that I work at so the time remaining on my health insurance is limited.  Patient is 16 years old drug free female  in otherwise good health.
Symptoms are as follows:
1. Involuntary spastic movement of the head,eyelids, and arms with intermittant escalation to legs and torso.
2. Has ability to communicate and be aware of surroundings [and sometimes walk] during episodes.
3. The motion has similar appearance of spasticity from cerebral palsy or parkinsons. Motion alternating back and forth rather then tensing extend and retract muscles at the same time.
4. Episode most often last less than a half hour but has on occaision lasted several hours.
5. Frequent complaint of being cold during episode.
6. Happens more often during sleep or waking from sleep. Very rarely while awake during day.
Thanks for writing to the forum!
Your daughter could be having sleep apnea and sleep tremors. You should consult a sleep specialist for this.

Having said this I would suggest you get the following tests done for your daughter if the sleep specialist does not find anything wrong with your daughter’s sleep pattern.

I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get her kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, and fatigue all cause similar symptoms.

Hope these tips help. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!