Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

uncontrollable flatulence

Hey im only 14 yrs old and i have a problem with uncontrollable flatulence ive had this for almost 2 years now and it is honestly ruining my life my parents do not understand my problem i wanted to fix it really bad in the beginning took a stool test nothing wrong talked to my doctor she didnt say much my mom jus thinks im going through a phase or something i have been looking online and most people say there is no cure i dont think i have a disease i feel perfectly fine besides for this problem i cannot "fart" normally like with a noise even if i tried it always jus came out as air getting pushed out and when i dont want to i jus comes it by itself i have absolutely no control over this and day by day more of my friends are figuring out but they are still my friends most of them i havent told anyone my problems except to my parents or doctor it seems like there is no cure but i no there are things to stop the odor to release in the air like special boxers or the tape thing i have no idea but i need help im only 14 my life is jus getting started
have you tried any over-the-counter products such as "gas x" or "beano"?
Uncontrollable flatulence can be caused by numerous medical conditions including colitis; celiac disease; Crohn's disease; diabetes; Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS); inflammatory bowel disease; AIDS/HIV; malabsorptive syndromes; pancreatitis; lactose intolerance; and numerous medications including some antiviral medications, antibiotics, and cholesterol lowering medications; and even protein supplements. Most of these conditions are treatable.
The unpleasant odor of flatulence comes from bacteria in the large intestine that release small amounts of gases that contain hydrogen sulfide and methane.
Most gas is produced when bacteria in your colon (large intestine) ferment carbohydrates that weren't digested completely in your small intestine. Your body does not digest and absorb some carbohydrates (the sugar, starches, and fiber found in many foods) in the small intestine because of a shortage or absence of certain enzymes. Certain foods produce more gas than others because they contain more indigestible carbohydrates than others. Beans are a classic example of gas producers. Other high fiber foods such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes may also increase flatulence. Sugars are known to create gas. Fructose is naturally present in onions, artichokes, pears, and wheat. It is also used as a sweetener in some soft drinks and fruit drinks. Sorbitol is a sugar found naturally in fruits, including apples, pears, peaches, and prunes. It is also used as an artificial sweetener in many dietetic foods and sugar free candies and gums.
Fats and proteins cause very little gas. As long as you don't have one of the medical problems listed above, trying a low-carbohydrate, high-protein diet such as the Atkins Diet may help reduce your flatulence. If this doesn't work, a product called the Flatulence Deodorizer may help you reduce any related odor problems. or taking 1 or 2 cups of live cultures yogurt or  pure acidophilus culture or acidophilus milk daily.

What you describe Fits my situation perfectly. I am 18 years old and have had this problem for many years.I have tried everything. Dieted, tested certain foods, fasted for days, read hundreds of pages of dialog (literaly), been misdiagnosed, and re-diagnosed many times. It has ruined my life so far up to this point. By far the worst experiance in my life i never would have imagined how imbarrasing this problem could be.
being shunned from kids at school and even adult co-workers.
Reading pages after pages of websites all saying pretty much the same thing doesnt boost the moral either when u try them and they have no effect.

The website that helped me the most was  http://www.helpforibs.com even if you dont have ibs it has great tips on gas prevention.

My story...
I had a colonoscopy and was finaly told that my throat and intestines were very swollen and looked like they had been that way for a long time. I was told it was indeed simply IBS and a little bit of Silent heartburn. (although im sure the silent heartburn part wont apply to you).
So at least now I know nothing too seriouse is going on with me like cancer.
I would recomend asking your doctor about the benifits of haveing a colonoscopy if you have not already had one. It can be a small relife to know u simply have IBS.

As for the flateulence what you discribe sounds exactly like my situation.

"i feel perfectly fine besides for this problem i cannot "fart" normally like with a noise even if i tried it always jus came out as air getting pushed out and when i dont want to i jus comes it by itself i have absolutely no control over this"

right on the dot. it felt like you were discribing my own sysmptoms to me!
my diet:
One diet i found that really helped out my situation alot more than i had ever expected any to was the "insoluable fiber" diet, a diet i got from http://www.helpforibs.com
Now, you must understand no website or person can tell you what to eat exactly because each person is differant. Some foods that may stable one person might trigger symptoms in someone else ect ect. im sure you have heard this a hundred times.. anyways about my diet!

Plain white rice - excellent food for someone with gas.
Flaxseed tea - A tea known for its ability to reduce bloating and gas.
Papayas - a food known for its ability to reduce bloating and gas.
Mangoes - Taste damn good and didnt give me gas!
Rice krispies - the only cereal which didnt seem to irritate me.
Rice milk - as Diary and soy are known gas producers.
EXCERCISE! - such as sit ups and >light< jogging. (this really seemed to help me alot.
WATER! - Drink lots of water several minuts before meals, and inbetween to help the insoluable fibers do their work and to help prevent gas. ( not during or right after meals)

At first it didnt seem to help much but by the end of the week i felt almost normal although i had just about forgotten what normal felt like.
However: this is not a nutriciouse diet to follow all your life and im sure you would go insane eating only rice, mangoes, and papayas.. (i used to like rice... now .. not so much). You should really follow a non soluable diet that suits you for a couple of days then slowly start to add soluable fibers into your diets such as adding rasberries to your rice-milkshakes or something. Slowing keep adding foods and learning which ones you need to avoid. For a better more detailed guide written by someone who probably didnt fail an english in their senior year follow the link I gave above.
( http://www.helpforibs.com )
although i didnt buy anything frm this website it taught me a great deal about insoluable and soluable fibers!
Theres another site that shares the success and horror stories of people with chronic gas that i was looking for when i found this one but i cant seem to find it.. if i do ill come back and link it because i found it helped me a great deal. Keep strong your not in this alone, good luck!
Woops cant i edit a previouse post? the rice & papayas ect are soluable fibers so it would be the "soluable fiber" diet my bad.
you are good  kid  don"t tel any body. they dont understad our ptoblem .... they makke it like fune . in ethiopia i cant find them but you could try devrom ( bismuth sub salicylate) ,charcol and chloropyll for the odour .ther is  a product calld  flat-d it is like a pant you wear it absorb the odour you can find it on the web . for evry thing you should deal with your parent siriously  see a doctor   now. god bless you kid.

I was reading your responses about gas.  I have that also.  went for many tests but did not show anything.  they found it was from a disorder called gastroporesis that is a slow digestive system.  when I eat carbs thats when the flatulence is bad. You could ask for a gastric emptying test.  It could also be from bacteria in your small intestine.  Do a breathe test for this.  I hope this info. helps.