Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

unexplained stomach bruise

Today while taking a shower I noticed a dark bruise that appears to be under the skin deeply (not really dark on the surface, but blue several layers down) in an oval shape about he size of a lemon just below the sternum (mid torso) area.  I have been very inactive the last few days due to a cold I've been nursing and can't think of anything that I couldv'e done to injure this area.  

What could be the cause?  I have some pain and discomfort in that area as well as my back.  Should I be concerned or just let it go?  

Thanks in advance,
Sarah

Thanks for writing to the forum!

First of all you must examine and see if you have other such bruises. Viral infections at times do present with echymosis or bruises. So can eczema nad dermatitis. Alternatively it could be pancreatitis causing a bluish discoloration in periumbilical area. A ruptured ectopic pregnancy too can present similarly with a bluish discoloration in periumbilical area. You should not ignore this at all. It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage.

I think you should discuss this with your doctor and get yourself examined. Do let me know if there is any thing else. Take care!