Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

unknown reason or disease affecting dad

My stepfather is suffering from multiple symptons; loss of appetite, unexplained weight loss, seizures, lethargia, sleep apnea, unexplained liver infections(2) and kidney stones which led to more meds being taken, high blood pressure, low thyroid, high cholesterol.. Every test he's taken had turned up negative!! Help!! My mom and I are ata loss as to what to do for him. Last night he also suffered a black out and spent the night in the ER, with no results!!
Er's are a joke. They only purpose they serve is to stablelize a person until they see their own Dr. Always ask a Dr if they are a 1st year intern or 2nd 3rd or 4th. Makes a big difference. Weight loss is serious, usually occurs when cancer is present. Sleep apnea is usually confined to obese people. I think he has a combination of problems and they are not related. Has he had a white blood cell count, blood work done? Needs too. I hate to say this, but my Dad with though most of this before it was determinded he had lung cancer
Welcome to the forum!
Loss of appetite, weight loss and high cholesterol can all be due to the liver infections. Seizures and poor sleep can also be due to hepatic disorders. It looks like that your Dad has hepatic encephalopathy. Please read more about this on: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000302.htm
I would strongly recommend you to see a gastroenterologist (a specialist who looks after the diseases of our digestive system).
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!