Urinary Tract Infection Community
695 Members

Frequent UTI's

I have within the last 2 months have gotten 3 uti's..  I don't know what is going on, but I have frequent urination with no burning at all. This time my Dr. placed me on ampicillin, and it has been 3 days and I am still have the urgency to go to the rest room too often.. I am drinking surgar free canberry juice from time to time while on the antibiotics and I take a thyroid pill as well as a diurectic pill all prescribed by the same doctor.. What is it that I am doing wrong. This is not a good feeling at all , very irritating. My back was kind of sore at first, but I've been driking plenty of water as well.. How long does it normally take for the Ampicllin to kick in, normally I am feeling better after the 2nd full day, but this is just concerning me now.. Thanks in a advance for your reponse..
UTIs are common in females compared to men due to several anatomic factors. The risk factors for recurrent UTI in females are sexual intercourse, use of spermicidal products, having a first UTI at an early age, and having a maternal history of UTIs. Most common causes are stones in kidney, changing sexual partners frequently, pregnancy, diabetes and childhood infections. The urine can also be due to retention of urine anywhere in its flow due to obstruction. Inherited factors may be related to recurrent UTIs in few females. Drink plenty of water. Continuous or post-coital prophylaxis with low-dose antimicrobials or intermittent self-treatment with antimicrobials may be helpful in managing recurrent uncomplicated UTIs in women. You may discuss this possibility with your urologist. Further evaluation may be necessary if your urologist is suspecting structural and anatomic abnormalities of the urinary tract. Do keep us posted on how you are doing.
Take care and best regards!
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.