Urinary Tract Infection Community
692 Members

Recurrent UTI confusion.

Hi there,

I have been in a sexual relationship with my partner now for about 4 - 5 months.
We do have frequent intercourse, twice or thrice everytime we see eachother, often twice or thrice a week, and it can be rather rough admittedly. I have had probably 4 UTI's in the last 2-3 months. I have had a few prior, but never this many, although I am now in a relationship and am having a lot more sex.

The first urine culture picked up E Coli, which is common as you know. Was treated with 3 days worth of Trimethoprim, seemed to subside.

Came back again a little later, after sex, but this urine came back negative for infection.

After the second or third UTI, I had a weeks worth of nitrofurantoin.

I was then tested for infection. Nothing again, nothing grew from the culture. I had a full urinalysis, and a Chlamydia and Gonorrhoea exam. Again negative, and this was 4 months into the relationship, so would have been picked up..

I called the nurse and asked if trichomoniasis would be picked up with an indepth analysis and if Thrush would. She said parasites and yeast were not picked up on the test, would have been if they were present, and they 'tested for virtually everything'. She thought it was just a generic infection which happens to women now and then?

The UTI came back with vengeance a few days ago, extremely painful. I put it down to using face wipes to wipe after sex, but haven't before, so can't be sure.. anyway it was extremely painful, so I went to outpatients at hospital. Same generic UTI symptoms.

They did a diptest and found blood and white blood cells, but nothing else.. no protein suggesting no kidney issue, no nitrates (or they didn't mention this) which could suggest not E Coli? I have been again given 3 days worth of Trimethorpim, twice a day.

I forgot to mention my mother has a small, scarred kidney due to recurrent UTI's and has blood in the urine due to leaking the doctors suspect, she is on tablets now. My uncle was born with only 1 kidney. Not sure if this is relevant.

Symptoms seem to be subsiding anyway, but still have the dull ache which has moved to the other kidney..

Is there something I am missing? Sent another sample into the doctors, awaiting results, to see if anything will grow. Infection is present, I just want to know what it is.

What could this be, and where do I go from here? The only other thing that mimics a  UTI is herpes, but have no symptoms, legions, and no cure anyway.. I'm at a loss, so just suggesting anything and everything. I know 3 a year is considered excessive, 3 in a month or 2 is a lot.

Could it be the infection never went away despite antibiotics? Could it be something like inflammation internally due to rough sex, or perhaps hygiene? I wash often, but not always before/after sex, and use condoms rarely.

Thank you.
Forgot to mention, could Ureaplasma or Mycoplasma be tested for S: anything else? I tested positive for Ureaplasma about a year ago, and was treated with 3 days worth of antibiotics, and told not to send a sample in after, the doc fobbed me off, and said it wasn't serious or needed to be treated in most occasions. Would this show on a full urinalysis? Thank you.
If ecoli, look up d mannose and its effect on Utis. I used to get recurrent Utis - otherwise healthy young female. It was the only thing that helped me. I saw a urologist, took meds, underwent procedures. I tried d mannose and never got another infection, after averaging a couple a month at times. True life saver plus herbal and safe.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.