Urinary Tract Infection Community
696 Members

Recurrent UTI for Several Years

My sister, 18 years old, has had the problem of recurrent cystitis every since she was 11 years old. She rarely ever has been symptom free, with complaints of burning micturition and frequency all the time. Her earliest cultures yielded growths of E.coli, followed by Enterobacter and various mixed cultures thereafter. Her symptoms get relieved somewhat for the time-being with a course of antibiotics, but they always recur and it has significantly impacted her daily life. We had an ultrasound KUB done a few months ago, which was normal with mild calyectasis on the left. Currently she is having another spell of active infection and today she even had an episode of incontinence with urine dribbling all over her clothes while she was in the kitchen.

We are all distressed by her condition and I wanted to ask what could be the possible cause for such an alarming recurrence of infection? And what investigations would be useful? And what measures can be taken to avoid this?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Did you ever figure out what was wrong? I have a similar problem.
Unfortunately I did not, yet. What have your doctors suggested?
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.