Urinary Tract Infection Community
695 Members

kidney stones and UTI

I've struggled with UTI for the last 6-12mo. Urine cultures keep revealing E.coli. Most antibiotics are resistant except macrobid and IV meds. Urologist performed cystocopy (normal), ultrasound (normal with R kidney hydronephrosis), CT scan showed no hydronephrosis but two 2mm non obstructing LEFT kidney stones.  I keep having symptoms of what feels like uti that subsides with drinking a lot of water. Macrobid removes all symptoms while i'm on it but they return 2 days after I stop taking them. I don't have any other symptoms, the pain I usually feel is bladder discomfort and pain in urethra, some burning and urgency. Don't know what else to do now. I'm a 35 yr old female, otherwise healthy. With past history of 1-2/yr UTI's associated with sexual activity only. Oh, urine dipsticks always indicate nitrate + but leukocyte -. Urologist says that kidney stones should pass on their own, but otherwise doesn't know what to do????!

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
Hi there!
Due to several anatomic factors UTIs are common in females compared to men. The risk factors for recurrent UTI are sexual intercourse, use of spermicidal products, having a first UTI at an early age, and having a maternal history of UTIs. Inherited factors may be related to recurrent UTIs in few females. It has been recommended that continuous or post-coital prophylaxis with low-dose antimicrobials or intermittent self-treatment with antimicrobials may be helpful in managing recurrent uncomplicated UTIs in women. You may discuss this possibility with your urologist. Do keep us posted on how you are doing.
Take care and best regards!
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.