Urogynecology Forum

Anterior wall vaginal pain with painful/urgent urination

Cheers,

I have been dealing quite some time now with anterior distal vaginal pain and painful/urgent urination. The symptoms are not constant but seem to be getting more frequent. It seems to be triggered by heightened blood flow to the area, or clenching of pelvic muscles, among other things. I have seen a gynecologist with suggestions of interstitial cystitis (with absolutely no other symptoms) and recurrent UTI's all deemed negative upon testing. I was wondering if it is possible that I may have scarred the wall of my vagina. Any direction you could point me to would be much appreciated. Something tangible to take to a doctor to get rid of this pain. Additional info: no pain during sex but after. Ordinary OTC pain remedies do not work. A bit of self exploration pinpointed the pain anterior wall approx. 1-2 inches into vagina. Quite strong pelvic muscles. Can't think of any other pertinent info. Thanks again.
Ludo

I am sorry to read of you problem.  From what you are describing it is difficult to determine the exact cause of your problem.  

Interstitial Cystitis (IC) is usually associated with pelvic pain, pressure, or discomfort with persistent urge to void in the absence of urinary tract infection. While there are a number of diagnostic criteria for IC, there is no agreed upon gold-standard test that reliably makes the diagnosis.  IC is therefore mostly a clinical diagnosis based on symptoms and signs, although, a number of tests are helpful.

It is unlikely that you have scar tissue unless you have had surgery or significant repair of the anterior vaginal wall after a vaginal delivery.   Some patients do have areas that are trigger points for pain.  These areas are tender under examination.  Pelvic Floor Muscle spasms can be a source of pain as well but pain is usually more persistent and present with intercourse.  

Given the complexity of this issue, I would suggest you seek an Urogynecologist or Gynecologist that specializes in Female Pelvic Floor Medicine and Surgery.  You may find it helpful to visit http://www.mypelvichealth.org/ to find a doctor in your area.