Urogynecology Community
571 Members

Can an overly aggressive pap smear cause bladder damage?

I had a routine pap smear done by my (new) GP on April 3rd. Unlike every other pap smear that I have had (I'm 63 years old) it was painful because she said she couldn't see my cervix, so she had to drive the speculum deep into me (VERY aggressively for several minutes) to locate it. She even used 2 different speculuns. She finally was able to get a culture.  After the visit I hurt for a couple of weeks. Now I hurt in my pelvis and lower back only when lying down, and it seems to be getting worse.  Also, I have to urinate during the night more frequently than before the pap.  Could she possibly have damaged my bladder (or any organ, for that matter) during the exam?  I'm really concerned about this because I had no issues prior to my pap.
It sure sounds like she irritated something. Has it gotten any better?