Urogynecology Forum

TVT sling pain

I had rectocele, cystocele mesh repair and a TVT retroarc sling 7 weeks ago.  I returned to work a few weeks ago only to have extreme fatigue and pain.  My doctor told me I probably needed more time so he put me out for an additional two weeks for a total of 6 weeks of recovery.  At home, I did nothing but rest, followed all rules my doctor gave me and I still had the fatigue and pain.  The best I can do to describe the pain is if you were to ride a guy's bike and fall on the center bar, it's that deep ache.  I also have a sharp, stabbing pain at the TVT site that will bring me to my knees.  It doesn't happen all the time but when it does, it's jolting.  It also travels to the inside of my leg and down.  I am working 6 hours a day, I can't seem to get over that hump to work my full 8 hours.  I leave work completely exhausted, go home to sleep a few hours, get up have dinner and go back to bed to get up and do it all over again.  The last time I talked to my doctor's office they told me they didn't understand why I felt this way, most people are fine after 2 weeks and definitely after 3 weeks everything should be back to "normal".  They couldn't offer a reason as to why I feel like this except that I must be taking longer to recover.  So I guess my question is, is this normal, is it just that I need more time than most people to recover and can I expect with a little more time this fatigue and pain will go away?  I have a a follow up appointment next week but I suspect he'll tell me to give it more time.  I'm tired of feeling this way and am starting to regret having the surgery.
If you were feeling fine before the surgery, not fatigued, I would expect you to recover with in 12 weeks.  I would suggest you get rest, take a vitamin and consider having some blood work done to make sure nothing else is going on.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD