Urogynecology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal

bladder soreness after uti

I'm a 51 yo woman with no health problems except for being overweight. 3 weeks ago I awoke 2 am with typical bladder infection symptoms (burning, frequency), following a warm weekend in which I had been exercising a lot but not drinking much water; I had some wine at a dinner party. Had intercourse. About 24 hrs later symptoms started.  After feeling the symptoms, I drank a lot of water and saw dr. next morning who diagnosed uti (e coli) and gave me cipro for 7 days. All symptoms went away, until day 6 when a milder version of them came back. Increased water consumption (I hadn't been paying attn to that after symptoms had gone) Saw another dr. who saw a few wbc in urinalysis and gave me augmentin. 3 days later no improvement. Went back to first dr who said there were still wbc in urinalysis and prescribed macrobid for 10 days. Urine culture taken that day was negative. I felt a slight improvement after 3-4 days on macrobid, but still had some tenderness in the bladder area and frequency so I saw urologist. Based on my history (this was first uti in years), he said it was unlikely to be IC. I have no back pain or blood in urine. No nausea or fever. I have a slightly week pelvic floor--about 4 times a year I'll leak urine when I cough or sneeze. Uro. wants me to finish macrobid and see how I feel. I have about two days left on it. The frequency has improved (but not completely resolved) since I cut back on water consumption somewhat (I was drinking at least 100 oz a day for last two weeks). I also still have an almost constant soreness/tenderness in lower abdomen. It's mild but I've been stressed out about it being a chronic condition. My question is, is it possible for the bladder to take some time to heal after the infection is gone? What should I do now?
1 Responses
1344197 tn?1392822771
From your description I doubt you have IC.  I would suggest you see a urogynecologist in your area to be evaluated.  It is possible to have soreness after an infection and some overactivity of the bladder as well.  J. Kyle Mathews, MD  
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.
Here’s what you need to know about the transition into menopause – and life after the change takes place.
It’s more than just the “baby blues.“ Learn to recognize the signs of postpartum depression – and how to treat it.
Forget the fountain of youth – try flossing instead! Here are 11 surprising ways to live longer.
From STD tests to mammograms, find out which screening tests you need - and when to get them.
Find out if PRP therapy right for you.