Urogynecology Forum

enlarged uterus with fibroids

I have a enlarged uterus the size of a cantaloupe with a fibroid the size of a orange on top of that with smaller fibroids all around. I have pressure on my left side with pain and burning. I always feel like I have to go to the bathroom. My periods are not real heavy, but long. My doctor says surgery. I am 49, do not know how close I am to menopause. How much do fibroids shrink at menopause, a little or a lot. I am tired of the discomfort and pain and do not know if I should wait it out or not. Like I said doctor says surgery. Thanks Lori49
Menopause will result in shrinkage of the fibroids, but I am not sure anyone knows how much or when it will occur.

You could also consider a procedure to remove the fibroids if you are uncomfortable with hysterectomy. You could start with removing the large fibroids and see how it goes...

Dr. Hoyte

A related discussion, Uterus/ Fibroid removal was started.