Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
533880 tn?1237612452

colon cancer and health problems

Back about 5 years ago I was put in the hospital for e-coli and almost died. I have had many problems with my health since then. I underwent a lower gi and found polyps in my colon by they were not cancerous and it also said I have pre crohns, and at the time I had h pylori which was never treated until a few weeks ago. I have a question with all these issues does these things increase my risk of colon or stomach cancer. My grandmother died a month ago due to colon and lover cancer. And my dad has also had a few polyps removed from his colon. What are some things I should be aware of just in case.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi,

H pylori does increase the risk for cancers in the stomach. Eradication however, is feasible for this risk factor so this is a good thing. The presence of Crohn’s disease also increases risk and is a function of duration of illness. If you only have pre-Crohn’s features, then this situation may not increase the risk as much. If your grandma got colon cancer after her 60th birthday, this is usually a sporadic case more than a hereditary case. Since you have polyps, it would be good to keep to the schedule of follow-up. Aside from this, maintaining a proper diet and exercise would be good for cancer and for general health as well. Discuss your concerns with your doctor. Stay positive.
Helpful - 0
533880 tn?1237612452
If I have "pre Crohns's" will I sooner or later develop full Crohn's? My grandmother was diagnosed with colon cancer when she was 59, she would be 60 next month. But with the Crohns I had another grandmother and uncle die from it. I was told that my uncle was the youngest child in the US to develop it, there where no medicines to help him.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Urologic Cancer Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.