Urologic Cancer Community
439 Members

microscopic blood in urine *history kidney stones

I am a 40 year old female with a history of kidney stones. Latest ultrasound (1 year ago) noted stones bilaterally. I have had previous symptoms of UTI only to have tests come back negative for infection but positive for blood. The last 4 urine samples have all tested positive for microscopic blood ( all tests done in the past 5 months).

I just had my anual physical 1 month ago and urine test noted traces of blood with no infection. My worry is that this could be a sign of bladder cancer. Could the stones in the kidney's be causing the positive blood results even if they are not moving? My GP has referred me to a urologist and has recommended that I get a cystoscopy. I am still awaiting to hear from the urologist, referals can take up to 3 weeks to be processed. Is this something that I should push or wait for them to contact me?

Please advise on what this could be.

thank you for your time.
.
Sorry to hear you have been unwell.

As you know that yu have kidney stones, it is likely that even though you do not feel them moving, they still may move a fraction and cause the show of blood in your tests.

I hope your appointment with the urologist has now come through so that he can do further tests.

Make sure you drink plenty of water 2-3 litres per day.  This will help to flush them out if they are not stuck.

wishing you a speedy recovery.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.