Urologic Cancers Forum

Atypical Transitional Cells in Urine

While diagnosing other gynecological problems, I was referred to a Urologist since there was previous Hematuria observed by mt PCP.  Further test showed negative for Infection.  

New doctor - Urologist ordered urine test.  2 wks later, results showed Atypical Transitional Cell, Rare - not diagnosis for Cancer the report indicated.

Urologist ordered another urine test for fish (I think that's how it's spelled).  It came back negative for bladder cancer.

Urologist ordered Cat scan and found 13 millimeter cyst on left kidney that is no cause for concern he told me.

Urologist said I'm ok and repeat test in six months!

My question is my urine has atypical transitional cell, can it be cancer from anywhere else except for the bladder??? Please advise, Thank you so much.

Atypical transition cells in the urine are usually either from the bladder/urethra or the ureters. If you would like to be more aggressive, a cystoscopy and ureteroscopy could be in order, but that is dependent moreso on how your urologist feels. Incidental cysts on kidneys which are small, do not cause symptoms and do not cause complaints to the patients can be observed. Cancer is less likely with the CT scan findings you have provided, however correlation with cystoscopy and ureteroscopy is a more aggressive approach and will provide additional information.

Thanks!
A related discussion, What are Atypical urerthial cells was started.
A related discussion, cells was started.
A related discussion, Bladder was started.
Here are 15 ways to help prevent lung cancer.
New cervical cancer screening guidelines change when and how women should be tested for the disease.
They got it all wrong: Why the PSA test is imperative for saving lives from prostate cancer
Everything you wanted to know about colonoscopy but were afraid to ask
A quick primer on the different ways breast cancer can be treated.
Get the facts about this disease that affects more than 240,000 men each year.