Pain after straining to pass a stool

On 10/25/15 at 2 AM, I was awoken with rectum pain. I knew from previous times that is was a stool pressing on my prostrate.  This has happened maybe 10 times in the past  ten years.  Twenty five years ago I was diagnosed with BPH.  Other conditions I have are an umbilical hernia and a ventral hernia.  I had to strain (lots) for 5-6 minutes to get the stool passed. Pain was gone and I went back to bed.  However the next day around noon or so I noticed that whenever my bladder filled with 3-5 ounces, there was discomfort and when sitting down to relieve it & there were some pains. Pushing on my lower stomach about 2 inches below the navel on a lateral line  there is some very sore areas, mostly on the left side just an inch or so left of the navel. Not much discomfort otherwise. I’m concerned I may have strained or ruptured something….bladder or colon or some intestine.  
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Seems you were right on target. Thank you so much. Pain is  almost gone from pelvic area.
Helpful - 0
I don't think you have done any irreparable damage. What you describe sounds more like abdominal muscular strain.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Urology Community