Urology Community
19.3k Members
Avatar universal

28 year old male with perineum lump, pain, swelling, redness

(28 year old male) Large lump on perineum with selling and redness, worse when sitting but always painfull. The lump has been there for about 5 days and is getting worse. I have tried hot compresses and soaking in a hot bath..pain relief while in the hot bath only. Any ideas what it may be or what can be done for it?
3 Responses
Avatar universal

It looks like a swollen lymph node or a boil. A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Apply warm compresses and keep the area clean. Also apply a topical antibiotics cream like Neosporin or Mupirocin. Drainage of the boil is done only when it becomes soft and forms a head. Take some over the counter pain reliever and consult a doctor for examination and antibiotics prescription. If you are sexually active then herpes should be ruled out.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

If you are sexually active then herpes should be ruled out ?? how ??
Avatar universal
Thanks for your information.  The area didn't start as a reddened area, the lump could be felt but not seen, it became painful and started swelling after a 2 hour car ride and after the swelling it became red.  The pain when laying down is like a constant pinch & when sitting it's like sitting on a sharp golfball.  I am trying warm compresses, I will get some Neosporin to use and have been using OTC pain relivers.  
Unfortunately I am trying to avoid going to the doctor due to the fact that I have no insurance and the only other place I have available is my local ER.  I understand that without an exam I can't be diagnosed but I do greatly appreciate the advice and will try this & of course if it doesn't start improving soon or gets worse I will be forced to find a doctor accepting new patients (which are limited in my area since it is VERY rural)
Avatar universal
A boil generally starts as a reddened, tender area. Over time, the area becomes firm and hard. Eventually, the center of the abscess softens and becomes filled with pus. Finally, the pus "forms a head," which can be surgically opened or spontaneously drain out through the surface of the skin. So chances are there that it can be a boil or a cyst.

Try the above mentioned treatment and if the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a dermatologist.
I hope it helps. Take care and regards.
I hadmine surgically opened and drained. And it still drains and is not fully healed. And everyonce in awhile it itches it drains alot of crap out of it. This is the second time I have had one second surgery on same problem. I want to be healed and it over and I  never have to come back to emergency room for this same problem
Hidradenitis suppurativa. Look it up. There is Docs that specialized in working with this condition. Some people drain off and on for years.
Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.