Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Community
19.4k Members

8mm kidney stone

I am a 27 year old pregnant female with a history of kidney stones since the age of 16. I normally get a kidney stone every 3 - 4 months but now that I am pregnant it has gotten to the point where I am getting them every week. This past weekend I rushed to the ER because I thought I was in labor. Instead of being in labor I found out that I had passed yet another stone this time it was an 8mm stone with no pain medication except 2 tylenol that my husband gave me before we went to the hospital. Normally my kidney stones range in size between 4-5 mm. Is there anything that I can do to minimize the occorance of kidney stones while pregnant? Is this likely to continue after I have the baby?
1 Responses
Hi,  
      How are you? There is an increased incidence of formation of kidney stones in patients who have been previously, because during pregnancy there is increased intake of calcium, vitamins and minerals, decreased excretion of oxalate, decreased intake of fluids, enlarged uterus etc.
Adequate hydration is a key factor in treating this situation.
I would suggest that you visit a urologist for medical modes of treatment for this situation.
Best.
Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.