Urology Forum

Atypical cells in Urine

It has been a almost 2 weeks since my urologist had ordered a cytology with FISH(?).  When he called me originally he caught me off guard so I couldn't think of any questions because I was still in a state of shock not knowing what my doctor was getting at.  As part of a routine follow-up to prostatits (which is now relatively pain free) my MD ordered a cytology.  About a week later I got another call and was told to repeat cytology.  Then a week after that MD called me presonally and stated I had a "few" atypical cells in my urine.  The MD then ordered the cytology w/ FISH with the results still pending.  I have had previous cytology tests with negative results in the past.  I have also had cystoscopies twice in the past (most recent 6 months ago) with nothing found.

Do I really need to be overly concerned with bladder cancer (or other cancer) or another ailment at this point?  Are there benign reasons I could have atypical cells in my urine?

Any help would be appreciated to put my mind at ease.
Cellular atypia basically translates into abnormal appearing cells. They by no means are a diagnosis of cancer. Any inflammation including kidney stones can give you an atypical cytology. The FISH test, which evaluates the DNA of the cells in the urine is much more accurate.
That being said, I have only rarely seen a patient with cancer of the lining of the urinary system and cellular atypia. (Actually, I do not remember any!)
So, I would not be overly concerned on the basis of the cytology. If the FISH is negative, maybe get several "FISHes" over several months.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

"This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only. It
does not  necessarily reflect the opinions of Henry Ford  Hospital  or the
Vattikuti Urologic Institute.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic
and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical  condition.”

Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.