Urology Community

Bedwetting after prostate removal

I'am not waking up at night knowing my bladder is full.  When I wake up I have already wet the bed completely.
"Incontinence after prostate surgery can be due to stress, urge or mixed UI. In men, stress incontinence can occur as a result of intrinsic urethral sphincter deficiency. ...

The sphincter may receive direct damage during surgery, which is the most common cause of sphincter deficiency. As a result, urine is lost at times when the bladder pressure exceeds the pressure in the urethra, such as during a sneeze, cough, hitting a golf ball or changing positions. Stress UI after prostate surgery may be temporary or permanent, depending on the amount of damage to the nerves and blood vessels supplying the bladder and urethra.

Urge incontinence may also occur after prostate surgery and involves an "involuntary loss of urine that is associated with a strong need to void." Urge incontinence may occur as a result of the bladder muscle’s efforts before surgery to overcome the obstruction of the bladder outlet (urethra) due to the enlarged prostate gland that “squeezes” the urethra. The bladder hypertrophies (enlarges) over time and contracts forcefully to overcome the bladder outlet obstruction. After surgery, the bladder continues to contract forcefully and the man may not be able to inhibit urination.

If urge incontinence is seen in men soon after surgery, it may be due to bladder nerve damage that affects the bladder's ability to store urine at low volume. Mixed incontinence, a combination of stress and urge incontinence, can also occur when bladder instability and urethral sphincter weakness are both present.

Some doctors have found that patients who practice pelvic muscle (Kegel) exercises before surgery experience a more rapid return to bladder control. Combining pelvic muscle exercise with bladder retraining (urge inhibition) for men with both stress and urge UI can decrease urine leakage, urine urgency and frequency (called overactive bladder).

Two surgical procedures may be used as treatments for incontinence that is caused by damage to the sphincter. One is the insertion of an artificial urinary sphincter. Approximately eighty-nine percent of men receiving this treatment achieve total dryness. The other treatment, periurethral collagen injections, has a reported success rate of approximately forty percent."

www.seekwellness.com/incontinence/prostate_cancer.htm
Bladder control continues to improve over a period of a year after prostate removal.
Until control is sufficient, you may need to wear a pad at bedtime and practice kegel exercises prescribed by your doctor.

Do keep us posted with your doubts and progress
regards