Urology Forum

Bladder Stone

My Cat Scan results show a 3.8 x 2.6 cm bladder calculus. Would this probably have moved from the kidneys and how large is this considered? I also have smaller calculi in the ureters and three punctate calculi within the kidneys. Any thoughts?
Yes - it likely came from the kidneys.

This is a moderate-sized stone.  There are uncommon cases where shockwave therapy can help.  However, in many cases, this would require surgery.  

This needs to be evaluated by a urologist.  Depending on the composition of the stone (i.e. uric acid vs calcium), there are some medical therapies that may help in preventing future occurrences.

These options can be discussed with a urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, Bladder Stones was started.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.