Urology Forum

Bladder problems

Dear Sir,
        I am a 49 year old male with M.S which i have had for 27 years. For the last six years i have used a Supra Pubic Catheter. Although in the past i have had problems with bladder stones a recent x-ray shows this is not the cause. My problem is i am leaking from the catheter entrance and also the penis, which is causing me discomfort and embarrassment as the urine has a very strong odour. I have noticed that the tube to the leg bag appears to accumulate what looks like fungi - although a wash out shows the catheter is not blocked this leakage still occurs. Can you please offer me some advice?
Many Thanks
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

One of the more common causes for leakage in urinary catheters is improper fitting or bladder spasms.   Improper fitting can be corrected by a urologist and medications can be given to control bladder spasms.

Either case should be evaluated by a urologist.  

I would also obtain a urinalysis and culture to evaluate the urine for infection (either bacterial or fungal).  Any type of infection can precipitate spasm which may contribute to the leakage.  

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Thanks,
Kevin, M.D.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.