Urology Forum

Blood in my urine

I have polycystic kidney disease and have recently been getting some pain in my lower side and have found blood in my urine. I work in a care setting and have to restrain children using techniques that i am trained in. Having to do this on often a daily basis i am worried that this is the cause. If i went to the doctor do you think he would give me some time off work for me to recover?
Blood in your urine, hematuria, does occur with polycystic kidney disease, but that doesn't mean that there might not be another cause. The usual concerns exist (stones, tumors) and you do need to be evaluated for this as any other individual would. You need a CT urogram (if your serum creatinine is not elevated) and a cystoscopy. Polycystic kidneys can cause pain but time off will not make the pain better unless you were struck in the area of your kidneys. Just struggling with an individual may give you true back pain, but without a blow to the area, the kidneys would not be effected.
A work excuse would depend upon the result of your evaluation and the personality of the physician.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only. It
does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Henry Ford  Hospital  or the
Vattikuti Urologic Institute.  Please consult your physician for diagnosticDiagnostic laparoscopy
and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical  condition.

Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.