Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Blood in my urine

I have polycystic kidney disease and have recently been getting some pain in my lower side and have found blood in my urine. I work in a care setting and have to restrain children using techniques that i am trained in. Having to do this on often a daily basis i am worried that this is the cause. If i went to the doctor do you think he would give me some time off work for me to recover?
1 Responses
438205 tn?1240962949
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Blood in your urine, hematuria, does occur with polycystic kidney disease, but that doesn't mean that there might not be another cause. The usual concerns exist (stones, tumors) and you do need to be evaluated for this as any other individual would. You need a CT urogram (if your serum creatinine is not elevated) and a cystoscopy. Polycystic kidneys can cause pain but time off will not make the pain better unless you were struck in the area of your kidneys. Just struggling with an individual may give you true back pain, but without a blow to the area, the kidneys would not be effected.
A work excuse would depend upon the result of your evaluation and the personality of the physician.
S.A.Liroff, M.D.

This information is provided for general medical educational purposes only. It
does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Henry Ford  Hospital  or the
Vattikuti Urologic Institute.  Please consult your physician for diagnosticDiagnostic laparoscopy
and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical  condition.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.