This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal
Blood in urine/flank pain

I saw my doctor about a month ago - mentioned that I had been having an episodic aching pain in my flank. Sometimes it's worse than other times. Yesterday it was more painful than it's ever been, so it's not getting any better. He said since the pain was located where my kidney is, it could be a kidney infection and ordered a hepatic function panel. All the items were within the normal limits. However, on the UA Complete section, I did notice there were flags on occult blood (small) and erythrocytes (6 to 10/HPF). He didn't mention this. Should this amount of blood be disregarded? Is this a lot?

My continuing flank pain plus the blood has made me think maybe I should be evaluated further. If so, do you have any suggestions on what kind of tests would be appropriate?

I take ibuprofen regularly - not daily, but frequently. Would this cause a side effect of blood in the urine and, if so, is the amount of blood related to the amount of ibuprofen? I never take more than 800mg per day. The only thing of any note I can think of is I had a strep bladder infection about 3 years ago which was treated, and I thought, cured. I also have urinary urgency and frequency (up to 20 times per day). Could this be related to my problem?

I hope you will answer my questions more completely than "go see your doctor" :>



Discussion is closed
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
The thing to consider would be a kidney stone.  This can certainly cause the flank pain as well as blood in the urine.  The best test to evaluate this would be a non-contrast CT scan - this should certainly be considered.

If negative, then it may be possible that chronic NSAID use (i.e. with ibuprofen) can cause the blood in the urine.  Blood tests looking for any kidney dysfunction should be considered.

You may want to discuss obtaining these tests - especially the CT scan - with your personal physician, or obtain a urology referral.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
Discussion is closed