Urology Forum

Blood in urine

Hi,  my husband was diagnosed with scleritis a month ago.  based on one of the blood test results he was reffered to arthritis doctor.  My husband had urine test in the office.  This test showed blood in the urine.  Now we are waiting for the appointment to the kidney doctor.  My husband is taking prednisone (oral) and prednisolone (eye drops).  For the last week he's having night chills and fever.  Also he's complaiing about joints pain.  My question is: Are we doing the right thing, going from one doctor to another and could miss something very serious?  Should we do something quickly?
Blood in the urine is never normal.  Causes can include urinary tract infection, prostate infection, kidney stones, kidney disease, or bladder cancer.  Simple things like vigorous exercise can also cause microscopic blood in the urine.  

Depending on the age, a cystoscopy or IVP can be considered to evaluate the urinary tract and bladder, a CT scan be done to evaluate for kidney stones, and an ultrasound be done to examine the kidney stucture.  Of course, the prostate should also be checked for infection.

These options should be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Medical Weblog:
kevinmd_b
0
0
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.