Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Calcium-Oxalate Crystals in Urine???

I am 25 years old and what appears have suffered another passing of a stone....IVP was negative.....i was woken up by horrible spams to my right flank area with no radiation....very strong intermittent spasms which lasted about 1 hour.....after the spasms no residual effects for about 2-3 days.....urinalysis showed RBC>200 under microscope with 3+ blood on dipstick...now, one week later, it seems i have a urinary tract infection...being i am 25 and a young man, isnt this unusual??  Or possibly i could have damaged the ureter from a jagged edge of a stone when it passed??  Would that attribute to all the RBC in urine....Is it common to suffer post-renal stone UTI's??  In men? Also, being that calcium oxalate crystals were found in my urine under high-power microscope, do you think that i actually passed a stone and that i am prone to these type stones??  Thanks for your professional advice.......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Troy,
From what you are saying, I am assuming that you have a history of passing kidney stones.  Once you have developed (or passed) one kidney stone, you will have an approximately 50% increased risk of developing another kidney stone. After developing a second stone, the risk for development of a third stone increases to approximately 85%, and on and on.  Calcium oxalate crystals will usually be found in the urine of individuals who are
3 Responses
A related discussion, Calcium oxalates was started.
A related discussion, ca oxalate crystals and uric acid crystal was started.
A related discussion, hematuria was started.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.