Urology Community

Chronic UTI's

I have been having UTI's constantly for over two years now. I have been to the urologist multiple times and they can not figure out the problem. My family doctor just continues to prescribe me antibiotics which are not helping anything. I had an ultrasound and they said everything looks perfectly normal. I drink a quart of water daily and take cranberry pills pretty regularly to help minimize them. The UTI's began when I started dating my ex. One doctor gave me a pill to take after we had sex (which did not help). After a year we broke up and I stopped having intercourse but continued to get UTI's. They started to slow down a little and were more bearable. However, I am recently in a new relationship and now that we are having intercourse they are getting much worse. I get to the point where I think I am going to throw up, I get chills, my body temperature changes... Not to mention the constant burning when I use the bathroom, all day everyday.... I have been told that STD's can cause them (which I got tested for and was negative for everything), kidney stones can cause them, drinking alcohol/eating spicy food (I avoided for months and it did me no good)....Help?
CORRECTION: I drink 2 quarts of water daily...

Recurrent urine infections could be due to various reasons. Most common cause is stones in kidney which is blocking urine pathway. Other causes are changing sexual partners frequently, pregnancy, diabetes and of course childhood infections.

The urine can also be due to retention of urine anywhere in its flow due t obstruction. The obstruction can be due to abnormality of structures since birth, stones or diseases like tumors. So you should get a ultrasound, CT scan done and also some urine and blood tests.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.

Thank you so much for your help!
Your story is pretty identical to how mine started! I ended up in the E.R. because of how bad they were. Mine pain would move from my kidney to my stomach and go back and forth. When I went to the E.R. the first time they claimed it was my galbladder, but i was too sick for something small like that. I finally went back the next day and found out I had an artery sitting on top of my kidney which is something I was born with. So make sure they are doing the correct testings when you go!
Oh wow, that's crazy... thank you! I have an appointment soon, so I will definitely mention that too them.
I had UTIs consistently for years- at least two every month if not constant.

I took masses of pills and even had a urethral dilation.

Regarding UTIs when you're not sexually active at all, I've never had that but the slightest vaginal penetration- even masturbation- causes UTIs in me almost without fail.

I found that washing my entire bum and vagina- preferably with antibacterial handsoap- keeps me clear when I'm sexually active.  I would love a bidet but a regular shower works just fine.

Its not very spontaneous but only takes a few minutes and I can't imagine not washing anymore.

Please try, you have nothing to lose!!!