Urology Community

Constant Annoyance

I am 33 years old and have been diagnosed and treated twice with penicillin for bacterial prostatitis ( strep viridans ), yet I can't seem to shake some of the symptoms. I get burning sensations around the scrotum and occasional discomfort of the urethra. I have had an ultrasound of the prostate which checked out fine and have been tested for chlamydia and gonorhea, which both came back negative. I am currently taking uroxatral and avodart daily, and am curious as to why I am still having symptoms. Is it possible of being overmedicated? Or is there something that has been missed? If so what other possibilities are there?
The possibility of abacterial prostatitis can’t be ruled out. I’ll suggest you to consult a urologist and discuss the same. There are some options which can be used to treat your symptoms like transurethral microwave thermotherapy (TUMT). The possibility of a urethral stricture also needs to be ruled out.
I sincerely hope that helps. Please do keep me posted. Warm Regards.
Abacterial not ruled out even if after I showed strep? I did go back to my urologist and I asked him about possible abacterial or even bacterial urethritis? He felt we were drawing at straws but prescibed a 7day treatment of doxycycline. I am 3 days in and starting to feel SOME relief but not 100%. I've been going round and round with this for 10 months now; is this typical of strep prostatitis? Do you think the uroxatral and advodart are an over kill? The ultrasound of my prostate looked back to somewhat normal other than some calium deposits, which he said were a result of prostatitis. Seems like we are starting to weed out causes but the symptoms still seem to be lingering around.