Urology Community

Damp pubic area, male

About two months ago, I noticed that my groin area (testicles and inner thighs) had become frequently warmish and a little, for lack of a better word, slightly "damp" The area did not become sweaty. My hygene is good and hasn't changed. I called my doctor who said the situation didn't cause any alarm bells to go off and suggested Gold Bold Body Powder. He did not physically check me. Does anyone have an idea as to the cause? Is this something I should be concerned about (in regard to prostrate, testicular cancer, etc.?) I'm 43 and otherwise in good health. Thanks.

I understand your concern. I do not think this fits the signs and symptoms of prostate or testicular cancer. Dampness in the groin area is sometimes expected since these areas of the body (eg armpits, groin and in women beneath the breasts) are usually covered. The warmth , sweat and moisture may cause the sensation of dampness.
Prostate and testicular cancer may present with changes in urinary patterns and sexual responses.

Do you perform regular testicular examinations ?
I perform testicular exams irregularly. A doctor performed one 2/29/08 and found nothing.
As far as performing one now there is a complication: I have been diagnosed with epididymitis. I've been on antibiotics for 6 days and the symptoms have gone away except for a hard lump behind my right testicle. STD test were neg and as I'm not entirely sure what the cause of the infection is my mind is investigating all sorts of possibilities. Is the lump the epididymitis and will it dissapear as the coil gets better? Or did I have the lump before 6 days ago? I don't know.

The epididymitis may be responsible for the lump. Is the lump tender or painful? Is there any redness in the area? The antibiotics could have helped clear the bacteria and thus, the area may no longer present any pain or redness if these were present initially.

A scrotal ultrasound may be able to help ascertain the cause of the swelling. A regular testicular examination will also be able to help.

Here is a url to help you with the testicular examination:
http://www.usrf.org/video_tomgreen/tcexam.html
Hi, and thanks for your guidance. I appreciate it.

The lump is neither tender nor painful. There is no redness. There is a "heaviness" to the right testicle, which I understand is not uncommon with epididymitis.

I performed the testicular self-exam as much as I could but, frankly, it's tough for me to figure out what is "normal" given the epididymitis. I don't want to subject the area to too great a search because I understand that might slow healing.

Do you know how long a cancerous lump takes to develop? I feel pretty good that a doctor checked my testicles on 2/29/08 (8 weeks ago) and found nothing. Would an ultrasound put this issue to rest?

One can not really tell how fast a malignancy may develop.There are a lot of factors involved such as the type of malignancy, the location and the person’s immune and genetic make up. I know this really worries you but I think worrying at this point is unnecessary and will not really help.

A scrotal ultrasound may be able to help since it will be able to visualize other structures within the scrotum. This will also help rule out involvement of structures other than the epididymis.
Thanks. I think I'm just going to wait it out until the symptoms (heaviness of right testicle) subside then do a thorough check. I am probably worried for no reason.