Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Community
19.4k Members

Did I have priapism?

I am 20 years old and believe that I had some form of priapism but I am not sure. I took a small dose of trazodone that was prescribed as a sleep aid, and a rare side effect is priapism. My doctor told me that if an erection lasted longer than four hours to go to the emergency room. I woke up the next day with a stronger, more persistent erection than normal, but after maybe 5-10 minutes it went away (keep in mind that I don't know the length of time I had the erection when I was asleep). Since it went down, thought that I was okay because I knew priapism meant that you couldn't get rid of an erection, and since mine subsided it was fine. Then about 2 hours later the same much stronger than normal erection came back and lasted for around 5 minutes. I finally got it to go away but it hurt at the base of the penis a decent amount when the last of the blood left. This whole experience happened several  months ago, and I have never been able to get as hard as before that day. I stopped getting "morning wood" and my erections overall feel softer. I have still engaged in sexual activity since that day, and never not been able to "rise to the occasion" but I don't get random erections anymore, and have to very deliberately try to be aroused to have a strong enough erection. I also experience pain at the base of my penis during some erections. I know that this is abnormal for a 20 year old, and it all started after that one day.
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449507972
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.