Urology Community

Do I need to see Urology?

I went to my doctor with severe pain in the lower right side pelvic area. She said I had a kidney stone. I had urine and blood tests and then a CT Scan. The stone is 9mm and located in the lower right pelvic region  based on that scan. Now she wants me to see Urology, but refuses to state why. Is the stone too large to pass on its own or what? Why can't she just explain so I will understand the necessity of going to Urology? I have a high deductible plan as as you can tell have already spent a bunch. I don't want to go to Urology only to have them tell me I have a stone and need to wait for it to pass. I already know that. By the way, the pain is now a mild ache with the occasional sharp pain if I move the wrong way.
You SHOULD be able to pass a 9mm stone, although it's going to hurt like he11.

The reason she might want you to see a urologist is so that they can give you options on how to rid yourself of the stone. There are a number of different procedures they can do to get rid of it, rather than have you try and pass it naturally (which, without knowing you history, body-type, ureteral structure, etc, I can't say for certain if it's possible for you to pass without aid).

Go and see the urologist, as your doctor suggests. She's just a general physician I'd imagine and doesn't want to overstep her bounds and give you semi-good/bad information, so referring you to a specialist is her way of getting you the best help possible for your situation.

I currently have an 11mm stone in my eft kidney, as well as numerous other, smaller stones, and it's going to take surgical intervention, but it's become so routine for me, I don't even worry about it anymore. Been doing it for 20 years, so it's old hat.

If this is your first time, I can understand your anxiety. Take a deep breath. Calm down. Everything's going to be alright. Go and see a urologist and hear what they have to say.

You'll be fine, trust me.

Take care & good luck.

LMNO
It is difficult for a 9 mm kidney stone to pass on its own in urine. Kindey stones are of four types: calcium oxalate stones, struvite stones, uric acid stones or cystine stones. Potassium citrate is used for the treatment of stones. I would suggest you to get an evaluation done from a urologist to determine the type of stone. Treatment modes include Extracorporeal Shock Wave Lithrotripsy (ESWL), uteroscopic stone removal and percutaneoud nephrolithotomy.

I hope it helps. Take care and regards.