Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Dual collection & stones

I am 30 yr old female with a history of kidney stone attacks since
  the age of 5 years.  I have been told I have a dual collection
  system or that my ureters fork just before reaching the bladder.
  I have been told that due to the narrower than usual ureter
  passages that I will experience the attacks more often than most.
  My physician had not seen this before me and it seems as though
  none of the radiologists I have dealt with had either.
  I have followed all instructions as to diet, fluid intake &
  exercize to no avail.  Is there anything else?  I am in my
  3rd attack this year.
  I have attacks up to 3 times a year while other years none.
  How common is this and how did I end up with it?  Is it possible
  that my daughter may get it from me?
==============================================================
Dear 3rd Kidney,
I do not specifically remember the last patient whom I saw with an incomplete duplication and stones such as you describe. I am not aware theta such individuals experience anything different than usual in the passage of stones or in the formation of stones.
I think that you may benefit from a repeat metabolic evaluation regarding your calculus disease. There have been some changes over the last 25 years. Some urologists and, to my knowledge, most nephrologists do such evaluations.
A copy of a your stone analysis (hopefully by x-ray diffraction) would be helpful as well as a two day log of your intake (food and fluid).
The tendency to form kidney stones does run in families and thus could be transmitted to your daughters.
Hope this helps.
This information is provided for general medical information purposes only. Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. The Henry Ford Hospital Department of Urology has experience in the evaluation and treatment of problems such as you describes. We would be most interested in helping you. You can reach us through our toll-free number (1-800-653-6568). We can also arrange local accommodations through this number if this is your need. Please bring any x-rays as well as any physicians
1 Responses
A related discussion, complete dual collection system was started.
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.