Urology Community

Enlarged bladder

Hi, I'm a 42 year old female with a very bashful bladder.  It takes me 1 to 2 minutes to strart urinating even when I have urgency to go.  I  also have several pauses during one pee.  It takes about 4 to 5 minutes to finish and I don't feel completely empty.  Today I had a cystoscopy and was told my bladder is enlarged {double the size}  and a very irregular stream.  There is no pain or burning on urination.  I've been like this for at least 20 years, but it's much worse now .
What could this mean?
Klair

Overflow incontinence is a condition where the bladder is unable to empty properly.

Individuals suffering form this condition have a feeling of not having their bladder emptied completely, and there somewhat frequent almost constant small volume loss of urine.
These individuals may also have difficulty in starting to urinate. Other symptoms may include dribbling, a urine stream that starts and stops, a weak urine stream,  nighttime bed wetting, and urinating more often than usual.
Routine examine and investigations show an enlarged bladder.
If the bladder is drained with a catheter, large amounts of urine can be collected and this confirms that the bladder did not empty normally.

This condition is caused by very weak bladder contractions or obstruction to urine outflow. Weak bladder contractions may be a consequence of nerve damage from systemic diseases like diabetes or localized spinal cord injury and damage.

Further investigations in the form of urodynamics testing will be needed to evaluate the extent of the problem.

There are several conservative measures that help to manage this condition including kegel's exercises, self-catheterization, etc.

Do keep us posted on your doubts and progress.
Regards.
Thank you for responding to my post.  I have a scheduled ultrasound and must fill a void chart before I return to see my urologist.  Are there any specific questions I should ask? What about taking a water pill?

The only medical conditions I have are ulcerative colitis ( which is in remission ) and IBS.

Klair