This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal


  I was working out hard on the tread mill, and later I felt a sharp pain in what felt like my right testicle.  It went away however my right testicle swelled and I felt pains in what would seem to be my bladder.  I went to the Doctor and he gave my Biaxin for 10 days (2 pills).  I felt better though not completely free, though the medicine was gone.  It came right back, with a swollen right testicle.  I was then given 500 mg of Cephelix (Keflex) - 100 pills (4 times a day).  While I feel 90% better, and my testicle is normal again, I still experience some pain in what seems to be the bladder above my penis, below my belt line, and inside my body (in that area).  Is there any harm in continuing antibiotics?  Is it common for the pain to remain after the bacteria is gone (they found a coliform bacteria in a urinanalysis)?  Is this a stubborn bacteria?  
Dear Richard,
Your right testicular pain may be related to a possible infection of the epididymtis and/or testicle associated with a urinary tract infection due to a coliform bacteria which I assume was identified on a urine culture.  Epididymitis and epididymal-orchitis are treated with antibiotics for approximately 2 weeks.  The choice of antibiotic depends on the sensitivity and resistance profile of the specific bacteria cultured from the urine.  Although Keflex is not always the first choice, your urinary tract infection and/or epididymal-orchitis may have been caused by a bacteria that is sensitive to this antibiotic, and therefore the choice of antibiotic would be appropriate.  To find out more about this, you would have to speak to your physician.  The pain over the base of your penis/ suprapubic region should resolve within a week of starting the antibiotics.  If not, you may have to follow up with your physician or urologist who may have to initiate other workup tests, especially since a urinary tract infection is rare in males anyway, and can be caused by an infectious stone, etc.  Wish you the best.
This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your physician for diagnostic and treatment options pertaining to your specific medical condition. More individualized care is available at the Henry Ford Hospital and its satellites (1 800 653 6568).
*Keyword: suprapubic pain, epididymitis

Read more
Discussion is closed
Follow - 0
Upvote - 0
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1