This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal


I had a hydrocele operation in my early twenties, which caused a bad inflammation of my left epididymis. After years of pain and the hydrocele reoccurring, the doctors decided tooperate again. They found the epididymis so badly inflamed and scarred that they had to remove it. After a short time I was pain-free.

I had another inflammation of my right epididymis (non-bacterial) when I was about 35. However, there was no clear diagnosis what caused. After a year of pain I still had an off and on feeling of discomfort, which I was told is expected. Two years ago, now I am 45, the epididymis got inflamed again. I probably did to much exercise straining this area like biking and running every day. After several doctors with several medical strategies from anti-inflammatory drugs (diagnosis: rheumatism of soft tissue) to acupuncture and saw palmetto products (diagnosis: seminal fluid too thick), it took about two years for the pain to subside to a manageable level. Which of the therapies really helped, I don
Read more
Discussion is closed
Follow - 0
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
233190 tn?1278553401
I am not a urologist, so my insight into this question is limited.

Scarring, infertility and further infection can be complications of the procedure.

Further tests to diagnose the problem may include an MRI of the region, as well as a cystoscopy.

You can also consider prostatitis - which can lead to referred pain to the epididymis.  A prostatic massage with resulting analysis and culture of the prostatic fluid can be considered.  Some cases of prostatitis may require extended course of antibiotics or other medications, such as alpha-blockers.

Before undergoing any procedure, I would inquire about a second urological opinion.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
Discussion is closed