Aa
A
A
A
Close
Urology Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Extreme urethra pain - no other symptoms - medical history included in post

Male
Mid 20s
I do not eat spicy foods, drink anything with caffeine, drink alcohol.
Masturbate usually 4-7 times a week.
Currently not sexually active
Current problem: Extreme urethra pain

How should I proceed and what are your thoughts?  I just want pain relief :(  Only Rocephin seems to help.

ER visit June 2005
Injections received: Rocephin
Antibiotics taken: Zithromax

No symptoms during  July 05
7 Responses
233190 tn?1278553401
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
You have been on several courses of antibiotic therapy.  Testing the urine for infection as well as obtaining a urethral swab for STDs should be done to see if any bacteria continues to be present.

The prostate should also be considered, and examined with a digital rectal exam or transrectal ultrasound.  A prostatic abscess can lead to continued infection despite appropriate antibiotic therapy.  

If infection has been ruled out, a cystoscopy can be considered to evaluate for anatomical abnormalities (i.e. a urethral stricture or polyp) that can lead to the symptoms.

These options can be discussed with your personal physician or urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.
Smoking substitute may not provide such a healthy swap, after all.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.
Trying to lose weight? Grab a snack that works with your diet, not against it. Check out these delicious, slimming foods.