Urology Forum

Extremely Swollen Black and Blue Testicles

My husband woke up last night with extremely swollen testicles. This happened rapidly and without any sort of injury or trauma. We went to the emergency room where nothing was diagnosed and then to the urologist who had no answers except there must have been some sort of trauma. I think if he did that kind of damage he would remember. They have not gotten any better and the discoloration has gotten darker. Is this an emergency? We were told that it would take weeks to go down. He has difficulty walking because of the size. He is not in any pain so I don't believe it is bruising. Any suggestions Thanks
A urologist would have evaluated for a true scrotal emergency, such as testicular torsion.  

Other causes of scrotal swelling can include a hydrocele, varicocele, cancer or a cyst.  A scrotal ultrasound would be the initial test of choice for these possibilities.

This option can be discussed with your urologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
A related discussion, blue balls was started.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
How eating more salt may actually save your life.
A deeper look into the relationship between salt and hypertension.
Why checking at new times can help.
Could you benefit from this alternative glucose testing method?
They’re one of your most important tools for managing diabetes.